Corsair Community

Computer won't boot with H100 installed...

Poro

Hey,

The problem is what the title says. When I have the H100 connected in my computer, it won't boot. If I remove it's connections and connect a generic fan to the CPU_FAN slot, it will boot. When I have the H100 installed, the motherboard will just flash a red CPU_LED, which stands for problems. What's wrong and how can I fix it? I have the pump unit connected to the CPU_FAN socket on the motherboard and the molex to the PSU. I have two Noctua fans connected to the pump unit (Using the Corsair fans made no difference).

BTW, is it normal for the molex on the pump to only have two pins? Mine has only two, could this be a manufacturing fault?

It sounds like your unit is not sending any speed info for the pump to the motherboard. Your motherboard won't let it boot up because it thinks the fan/pump is not spinning. The molex comes with only the 2 pins yes, this is normal.

I'm presuming the Noctua fans are not powered by the pump unit. Did the Corsair fans spin when you had those connected to the pump unit and it didn't start?

It sounds like your unit is not sending any speed info for the pump to the motherboard. Your motherboard won't let it boot up because it thinks the fan/pump is not spinning. The molex comes with only the 2 pins yes, this is normal.

I'm presuming the Noctua fans are not powered by the pump unit. Did the Corsair fans spin when you had those connected to the pump unit and it didn't start?

Thanks for your reply. I also thought about the possibility that the Noctua fans aren't getting the required power thus I tested the Corsair ones. They acted exactly the same as the Noctua ones. They didn't spin. I tested both Noctua and Corsair fans independently by connecting them directly to the CPU_FAN and I can confirm that the fans aren't faulty. It's something to do with the H100 control/pump etc. CPU_LED was flashing with the Corsair fans also.

Last question first. The molex indeed only has 2 pins, 3 volts per pin. Then obviously the separate Fan BLCK, with a single wire to connect to your CPU_Fan Header to provide the CPU's Water Block pump speed/tacho readings.

Is automated fan control disabled for your CPU_Fan Header? If no, do so. If yes, have you tried connecting it to the PWR_FAN Header (that maintains a constant voltage), or a SYS_Fan Header for example?

Seeing as you changed from the stock fans to some Noctua's, and connected those Noctua's to the CPU water block.....

.....Try putting Corsair's stock fans back on, (or at least connect them into your CPU's water block with them sitting outside the case or something). Once done, restart your PC, go into your BIOS (DON'T let the system boot into Windows, or whatever O/S you are using).......Then reset the firmware on your H100!! See if that clears it up.

Some users have reported issues when using 3rd party fans when they are connected to the CPU Water Block!!! Perhaps swapping them out, putting the stock fans back on, and a firmware reset of the H100's unit might clear it up for you??

Certainly worth trying.

Otherwise, the fact that your system is booting with your stock cooler in place with that being connected to the CPU_Fan Header would tend to indicate that your CPU_FAN Header is operating as it should be? If trying other various workarounds doesn't bare any success, then it's not unheard of with there being an issue with the connector/lead that connects to the CPU_FAN Header being problematic.

See how you go trying a few different alternate set ups, and if you're getting nowhere still, unfortunately you may have tpo start to think about exchanging the unit at your point of retail, or RMA'ing the unit back to Corsair!!

Hope you have some luck with it.

Is automated fan control disabled for your CPU_Fan Header? If no, do so. If yes, have you tried connecting it to the PWR_FAN Header (that maintains a constant voltage), or a SYS_Fan Header for example?

I don't have a SYS_FAN header but I tried PWR_FAN and got the same results as with CPU_FAN.

Seeing as you changed from the stock fans to some Noctua's, and connected those Noctua's to the CPU water block.....

.....Try putting Corsair's stock fans back on, (or at least connect them into your CPU's water block with them sitting outside the case or something). Once done, restart your PC, go into your BIOS (DON'T let the system boot into Windows, or whatever O/S you are using).......Then reset the firmware on your H100!! See if that clears it up.

I tried various configs (without pwr cable, with pwr cable but without fan headers etc.) and it seems that it doesn't matter if the pump is connected to any fan header on the mobo. What prevents the boot here is molex connector being connected. Whether I have the fan connector connected doesn't matter. I may have the stock cooler on the CPU and boot fine, but if I connect power to the pump again, it won't boot. Seems like there's a problem with the power circuitry of the pump?

Otherwise, the fact that your system is booting with your stock cooler in place with that being connected to the CPU_Fan Header would tend to indicate that your CPU_FAN Header is operating as it should be? If trying other various workarounds doesn't bare any success, then it's not unheard of with there being an issue with the connector/lead that connects to the CPU_FAN Header being problematic.

Yes, the CPU_FAN is working correctly and I've been able to boot previously when I didn't have H100 yet.

See how you go trying a few different alternate set ups, and if you're getting nowhere still, unfortunately you may have tpo start to think about exchanging the unit at your point of retail, or RMA'ing the unit back to Corsair!!

Hope you have some luck with it.

Got an RMA pending now, thanks for your help. If any other ideas which could work pop in your mind in the mean while, please share them. :P

The H100 gets power from its molex connector only (it's 12V, not 3V or 3V x 2...) The one wire fan header from the pump is only for pump speed monitoring, and to connect to the CPU fan header to stop CPU fan missing errors from occurring. Yes, it may be connected to any fan header, but it is intended to be used on the CPU fan header to replace the usual CPU fan's presence.

It's possible that the pins in the H100's molex connector have been pushed out of place, causing a problem. You likely would have noticed that.

I must say that as I am now an owner of a H100 (can't beat that Fry's price, right?) I too seem to be experiencing the same issue you are. My symptoms are not the same as yours, as I was still unable to boot after unplugging the H100's pump from power. I have not concluded what the issue is yet, as I am still playing with the PC.

If I have any revelations, I will post them here. :cool:

Archived