Corsair Community

Found New Hardware problem

RenaissanceMan

When I got my replacement 32GB Flash Voyager part for my previous drive that suddenly stopped working for no reason, I went through with an RMA, and got a new drive in the mail. However, when I plug it in to my USB on the computer, it doesn't work, it just says that it has found new hardware, brings up the wizard, and asks to put in a floppy or CD.

I am very disappointed in the quality of this product, I've seen many people complain about it constantly not working or suddenly stop working, and if I have to file another RMA, I will simply go elsewhere for a product that doesn't break as often. My first drive had important information that was related to school, and I lost a lot of files.

Hope that I can get some help.

look for the drive under disk management, sometimes you need to manually assign a drive letter especially if you have any virtual cd/dvd drives enabled like with powerISO for example.

let us know.

also if you can please fill out your specs in your profile we would be able to assist you further.

I have no clue how to fill it out, where do I find that information?

My computer is windows XP, and I'm using a Lenovo thinkpad R500.

I tried to manually install the hardware, but it says that I don't have the right hardware.

Also, I do have virtual drive software enabled. How would I go about assigning it a drive letter?

Edit: Now the computer doesn't even recognize the flash drive, even though its plugged in. D:

IAlso, I do have virtual drive software enabled. How would I go about assigning it a drive letter?

To open Disk Management

From the Start menu, click Run.

In the Open box, type diskmgmt.msc, and then click OK.

find the drive and RB click and assign a drive letter.

To open Disk Management

From the Start menu, click Run.

In the Open box, type diskmgmt.msc, and then click OK.

find the drive and RB click and assign a drive letter.

I don't even see it on the disk management menu. It works on other systems as well, I tested it on another laptop and on my xbox. D:

I apologize for the rude tone of my original message. That was uncalled for, and I'm sorry.

If you can install programs in the laptop in which the pendrive *is* recognized and works, install ChipGenius (see quote below) there, and collect the pendrive's info there, then go to the problem machine, create a Restore Point (just in case), then run regedit, find and delete the appropriate USBSTOR subkey, as per the quote below, in case it exists (if it does *not* exist, then the problem stems from some other source, though).

If it's working OK on XP, I'd say something is wrong with its entry in the registry, not with the flash drive itself. Find its VID and PID (for instance using ChipGenius), then run regedit and go to HKLM\System\CurrentControl Set\ENUM\USB, find the key with the correct VID&PID, open it and you'll see a subkey which name is its serial number. Now open HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\USBSTOR and you'll see many keys like this:

Disk&Ven_XXXXXX&Prod_XXXXXX&Rev_XXXX...

Open the key Disk&Ven_Corsair&Prod_VoyagerGT&Rev_1100 (maybe yours will be a different Rev or have no Rev at the end) and you'll see subkeys which names are serial numbers with an "&0" appended. Select the one with the correct serial number and delete it and all it's subkeys. Close regedit and insert the flash-drive. It should be redetected, and hopefully your problem with slow detection will be gone. Good luck!

In any case, do let me know what happened.

sounds like your windows install has lost its driver for usb storage devices.

since you still did not fill in your specs im going to assume you are running windows xp.

look for usbstor.inf in the windows\inf folder, that should be pointed to when it asks for the driver.

if you have the windows cd/dvd you can browse that as well.

Archived