Corsair Community

SATA II speeds

Spirik

It seems that I have some speeds issue problem (that already has been addressed here on this forum by other users).

Got 2 versions of Corsair Force 3 120GB: earlier revision (s/n starting with 1123) and more recent one (s/n starting with 1137) /they have some minor differences in exterior and in packaging/. I'm intending to use 1137 for OS, 1123 for software. Before I have my system migrated on them, I flashed them with 1.3.3 firmware and run some benchmarks only to find, that these drives operate on different speeds. My m/b (ASUS P5N7A-VM) supports maximum SATAII. And drive with s/n 1123 operates on speeds up to 250 MB/s, but drive with s/n 1137 only got maximum of 140MB/s. SiSoftware Sandra states that the latter one operates on G1/SATA150 (whilst the former on G2/SATA300) and no matter which combinations of ports I'm using to connect them. The result is always the same.

So, as long as problem lies not only in NVIDIA controller but in SSD itself (since newer revision operates slowly than earlier one), are there any chances that some later firmware update will address this issue and finally fix it?

I had a similar issue, my newer corsair force 3 ssd would only work as sata1 even though my nForce 750a hybrid sli chipset supported sata2.

I don't understand why it would be this way, nvidia is pretty good about releasing updated drivers so i dont see how a sata3 drive would report & perform as sata1...

but it was the last straw for me.

ditched the nforce and went with AMD chipset.

the newer/nicer amd-chipset motherboards are supporting SLi AND Crossfire, so at least we aren't so limited anymore.

since you are running intel, you should have some options too.

for the performance gain you may want to look into a new sata3 motherboard.

Thanks guys for your replies!

I guess I'll try Secure Erase and making clean install of Windows. If things won't work out well (e.g. nothing changes), I'll restore my system from beforehand created image and just stay with that (since I haven't got any BSODs or reliability issues), hoping that one day some great firmware update will come and save the day:)

Archived