Corsair Community

monitor not turning on after installing rams

frank77

Hi i have a issue that i reaaly can't understand has i tried a few things.

mobo: asus m3a32 mvp deluxe

cpu: amd 9850 quad

rams: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

1.My issue is when i tried putting them together and i succeeded

once in game i bsod with the error atikmpag.sys after 10 minutes in game.took the new rams out.

now i am trying to add the rams again, i bought them a year later but i was bit more of a noob when it came to pc i did not know 32 bit system would not recognize the extra 4g of ram so i left them in the package now i got windows 64 bit and trying to put them but the system come on everyrthing is running but the screen does't come on and i can't ear the one beep sound i usually do here what i did:

-memtest on every stick all pass

-change setting in bios to 667mgh and set volts to 2.00

they seem to be working fine in pairs but adding another pair just not working, can anyone help me figure this out.

thanks for your time and patience

Hi , got more info now today i was doing some experience chnaging my memory from slot with one set and i found that slot #4 from MOBO is causing the issue i tried 3 sticks slot #1 to #3 and monitor come on any idea if itès a power issue or my slot #4 is really damage.

after doing some testing with the frequency well here what i got:

800 MHz: no monitor working

667 MHz: monitor work but not loading windows

533 MHz: get to repair windows page then reboots by itself

400 MHz: everything works like a charm up to now played BF3 no issue no BSOD

• Corsair Employees
Mixing memory is hit and miss like you have found, but I would make sure that you have the matching pairs in the correct slots for D/C. IE: One matching set in slots A1 and B1 and the other matching set in slots A2 and B2 then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and see if you have an option for CPU/NB Voltage if so, increase it +.2 Volts. And set the memory frequency to DDR667 or 333 MHz.

can't see the option cpu/nb voltage however i have these option to change the voltage

*processor voltage

*Processor-NB Voltage

*DDR Voltage( this set at 2.0 has requested)

*Northbridge Voltage (under this option i have)

-hypertransport voltage

-core/PCIe voltage

-NB PCIE Voltage

*Southbridge Voltage

*CPU VDDA Voltage

i also have this option (cpu-nb HT link speed) and Processor-NB Voltage

not sure if it's in here

ok found it and it set at auto so if i increase by .2 i set to 1.0000 did not work once save and rebooted the both graphics card light are on and stay on and monitor stay blank tried tunning down to .9000 same problem same for .8000 that the lowers i can go

• Corsair Employees
If both sets seem to be fine when installed one set at a time there is not much we can do, and more then likely it is the MB or CPU that just does not run well with all four slots filled. I would see if a friend can help you test them in another system.

ive did more research on the subject and i may know why the 4 stick dontt work at 800MHz and they do at 400Mhz ,took this from a overclocking manual

Our RAM speed is 1600MHz. This is double data rate or DDR ram so the actual speed of the RAM is 800MHz. 800 times 3 is 2400 so we want our CPU Northbridge speed to be at least 2400MHz. If you have 1333MHz RAM you can divide it by 2 and you get 666.5 so your actual RAM speed is 666.5Hz. In this case the CPU Northbridge speed is fine at default because if you multiply 666 times 3 you get 1999.5 or 2000MHz. However since we are going to show how to overclock your RAM to be faster than the stock 1333MHz speed you will want some extra CPU Northbridge speed to make sure the system is running at its best.

According to AMD a HT Link speed of 2000MHz is all you need to get the best performance in most cases. However certain memory intensive programs can see a performance advantage with a higher HT Link speed. For the HT Link speed we will shoot for 2400MHz as well.

could this be my issue i know my cpu/NB speed is at 2000MHz

The memory you bought and have, TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, is rated to 800Mhz. To get the RAM to run at 800Mhz you would need to set the clock frequency in that particular Motherboard's BIOS to 400Mhz. That 400Mhz clock Signal is doubled by the RAM internally to arrive at the 800Mhz. This is why it's called double data rate RAM, DDR RAM or in your case DDR2 RAM. If you set your BIOS to 533Mhz you're effectively trying to overclock your 800Mhz rated RAM to 1066Mhz. If you set your BIOS to 667Mhz you're trying to overclock your 800Mhz rated RAM to 1333Mhz. If you set your BIOS to 800 Mhz you're trying to overclock your 800Mhz Rated RAM to 1600Mhz. Part of your confusion stems from the fact that motherboards from different manufacturers with an assortment of different BIOSes indicate RAM speeds in the the BIOS in basically two different ways. One BIOS will show you the actual clock generator speeds, 400Mhz, 533Mhz, 667Mhz, 800Mhz, ect. to set, while a different BIOS may show settings for speed that are the final effective speed of your RAM, 800Mhz, 1066Mhz, 1333Mhz, 1600Mhz, ect. Your motherboard's BIOS displays the former method, actual clock generator frequencies. The fact that you were able to get two mismatched kits bought at seperate times to run at their final effective 800Mhz rated speed is actually quite lucky. They frequently won't. On a side note, the motherboard you have is rated and capable of running up to 1066Mhz rated modules at 1066Mhz.

ps1: DDR Ram and DDR2 RAM use the same type of clock generator signal to perform their magic. DDR2 just does more with each clock pulse, see WIKI article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

ps2: The quote you refered to applies to overclocking folks who bought at least 1600Mhz rated modules who are running their RAM at 1600 Mhz (clock generator signal at 800Mhz) on a motherboard capable of running Ram at 1600Mhz. The particular cpu plugged into that board must also be capable. To maximize the performance of the particular setup the overclocking manual is referring to and hence eke out a bit more performance, the writer is advising end users to increase the AMD link speed from the default 2000Mhz to 2400Mhz. Basically this only applies to overclockers with an overclocking rated motherboard and cpu.

Thank garvin , after a bit of research myself i notice this also. Now Really is overclocking my rams if i want to get more performance that will means overclocking my cpu and more something i never done but i tried the overclocking tool i have in my bios either overclocking profile or AI N.O.S and was able to overclock my cpu so my rams clock speed were up to 420mhz= 840MHz

Archived