Corsair Community

H100 worse temps than H60?

paymaster

The H100's were on sale on Frys so even though I had just installed an H60 I picked it one up and so far am regretting it. With my H60 my idle temps were at 40C and load was up to about 60-62. The H100 is idling at 43C and goes up to 64 before the processor starts throttling. I have reseated the Heat Sink 3 times with the same results each time. I am using Shin Etsu X23-7762 thermal paste. I have tried a the pea method twice with a little different amount each time, and I tried spreading it out once to. It seems to be seated the best it is going to get. Any ideas or is this what I can expect?

Your CPU was throttling? That is unusual, sure it's not Speed Step? Usually throttling would not start unless the CPU was beyond 64C. But it certainly is possible.

This will sound odd, but try it. Put your finger under one of the pumps four metal mounting brackets, and try to lift it up, carefully of course. You'll be testing for looseness or play caused by the mounting studs contacting the tops of the backplate nuts rather than the mother board. If it moves it won't be much, but enough to cause a poor contact between the CPU and copper plate on the pump.

This has happened to some users, so worth checking. If it happens to you let us know.

Archived