Corsair Community

CX600W Builder Series - INCREDIBLY loud fan

Supernaut91

Just purchased a new PSU for my girlfriend as she wants to play BF3.

Installed my old 4850 into her board but with her old psu it was making coil sounds so purchased the power supply above.

Now the power supply itself is in fully working condition. The issue I am having is that it is horrifically loud. And by that I mean at 100% Constantly. This cannot be normal as I have installed 3 other Corsair PSU's each have been fantastic.

It is like this before post and after post at idle.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Here is a youtube video below of the sound.

IMHO if the fan stays at 100% and the speed does not vary as per the specs then by all means either exchange it at your place of purchase or submit an RMA with the link on the left sidebar.

what are the complete specs of the system in question? where im going with this is i want to make sure you are not underpowered with that PSU. if you use the PSU finder on the left does a 600w PSU seem sufficient?

if the PSU senses its under load especially with power hungry graphics cards the fan will run at 100%.

one last test, disconnect all drives and ATX connectors and do the paperclip test and see if the fan slows down after a minute or less, if not then exchange/RMA if it does then there is something drawing enough power that the PSU wants to run the fan at full bore.

please let us know :):

Bear in mind that you are not looking at the power consumption of the graphics card, but the consumption of the entire PC.

Synthohol, the 269W is the reviewer's total PC power consumption, not the 4850.

The 600W PSU is adequate for Supernaut91's requirements.

Try the paper clip test with the PSU powering nothing.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/Testing-your-corsair-power-supply/

If the fan is still loud it might be faulty.

Synthohol, the 269W is the reviewer's total PC power consumption, not the 4850.
i was just looking for a spec chart, i didnt see that it was the whole system. my apologies.

Try the paper clip test with the PSU powering nothing.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/Testing-your-corsair-power-supply/

If the fan is still loud it might be faulty.

i agree, i suggested it earlier but i dont know if he/she did that yet :)

• Corsair Employees

The issue for you is a loud fan on the PSU is that correct?

I just sent you an email asking for this link please disregard that email.

And since we have replaced the PSU and its still loud it is likely just the way it is, I am sorry but they are not totally quiet.

Archived