Corsair Community

Underclocking RAM

nellosmomishot

The PC I'm putting together is the first one I'll have oc'd. As such, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to oc'ing. I haven't started oc'ing yet, however, because my water cooling system is not put together yet, just air cooling.

Since I have not oc'd the CPU at all, it remains stock at 3.46 GHz, I've been reading that it will not be stable with the 2000 MHz RAM. The suggested fix until I overclock the CPU was to underclock. However, it was not specified if I need to underclock the RAM or the CPU. Any insight you can provide into this matter will be greatly appreciated.

OK, so it is just a one step solution? There is no need to test for stability after enabling XMP? Also, as the setup is still under air cooling, how large of an OC will it set for the CPU? I don't want to enable it and see 5 GHz for a few seconds followed by a puff of smoke from my CPU :)

You can test for stability if you want, that's not a problem. XMP will not oc the much at all. It leans more towards the memory than it does CPU. Just check your temps after enabling XMP to make sure all is good.

FWIW i have not seen one case where AIR cooling was not enough for XMP. I can run my 24 gigs at 1600mhz on air if i wanted to.

Archived