Corsair Community

CM2X2048-6400C5 & S3 Sleep Problems

lettredemarque

@RAMGUY

I need your help. I have two pairs of CM2X2048-6400C5. (2) VER3.1 & (2) VER3.2 suffering from various S3 sleep issues. They were installed for a year in two systems and both sets seem to have developed S3 problems.

They pass MEMTEST 4.20, but I have determined after swapping components (3 CPU, 2 HD, 3 PSU, 3 GPU, 2 Monitors, 2 Keyboard / Mouse) using a clean valid retail W7 X64 Ultimate OS install, all BIOS settings at default, and with no other devices connected at all that the problem is isolated to the memory. All S3 problems are gone when using a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5 VER1.2 instead.

When used with a GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P (1.6 / BIOS FE) (Intel P45) the VER3.2 goes into a random BSOD or goes into a reboot loop where it cannot recover power. VER3.1 recovers inconsistently and sometimes also BSOD. The system recovers fine with a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5 VER1.2.

When used with a ASUS Rampage Formula (BIOS 1001) (Intel X48) both the VER3.1 & VER3.2 recover from S3 fine, unless the keyboard / mouse is connected to the powered USB hub on the monitor which when turned off is effectively disconnected. The VER3.1 can recover only if the power button is pressed once. VER3.2 either BSOD or does not display a video signal. The system recovers fine with a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5 VER1.2.

When used with a ASUS P5N7A-VM (BIOS 0519) (NVIDIA 730I) both the VER3.1 & VER3.2 recover from S3 fine, but sometimes USB is disconnected or reverts to 1.1 mode. Rarely the VER3.2 BSOD. The system recovers fine with a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5 VER1.2.

I suppose it's time for an RMA of all 4 modules. Is there a way to make sure I get four identical sticks back?

• Corsair Employees

From what you posted would not suggest the memory is the issue, in addition, we do not suggest or support mixing sets. And if the matched sets will run on their own then the memory is not the problem and doing an RMA will not solve that issue even if they are two sets of the same version.

Have you tried running them at DDR667?

I think you may have misunderstood. I tested each set separately with the results above. At no time were they mixed.

I also have tested a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5 VER1.2 @800 and @1066 individually, and since then some generic 2GB DDR2 800 modules individually without having any of these issues. Logically it has to be the CM2X2048-6400C5 that is defective. No, I have not tried at 667, I expect it to work at 800 not 667. I don't think I am being unreasonable I just expect them to work at default stock. Can Corsair just replace all the modules?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but I still am not clear on what you are trying to do here. And I agree with they should run at the rated speeds 100%. However, from what you posted it suggested that you are trying to install two sets of modules on the same MB and expect them to run at Full speed which they may not and that is not a memory problem.

Archived