Corsair Community

Trouble with disappearing Force 120 GB

Sugarashii

I bought the Force Series 120GB a few months ago and used it as my primary HD, installing Win7 64bit on it. It was working fine until recently... while playing a game I got a blue screen and the computer restarted. Upon restart I got the "enter bootable media" message. Upon restarting again, I checked the BIOS to see if my drive was there; surely enough, it wasn't.

After reseating the cables, it showed up, but only to blue screen on loading the OS. So I tried reinstalling the Windows on another drive and using the SSD as a secondary drive. I'm able to browse it, but when I try to copy files, the drive just disappears again. Turning the machine off for a while, then back on will make the drive reappear. I've also tried booting from some linux live disks to see if I could copy the files from the drive; same thing occurs, the drive disappears in the middle of copying.

I've read through a handful of forum posts and have tried various things that were suggested:

- switching cables

- switching ports

- enabled AHCI

- disabled TRIM

- LPM fix

- set HD sleep to never

- updated Intel RST drivers

- updated firmware to 2.4

- manually set DRAM voltage

- switching from S3 to S1

Not all at once, of course, but none of which seemed to get my SSD to stay for good. Last things I have yet to try are to go out and buy different (hopefully better) cables and updating my bios to the latest version. I was wondering if anyone ever resolved this issue, and if so what was it that I missed. Also would like to know if the issue has not been resolved yet so I don't keep spinning my wheels.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I bought the Force Series 120GB a few months ago and used it as my primary HD, installing Win7 64bit on it. It was working fine until recently... while playing a game I got a blue screen and the computer restarted. Upon restart I got the "enter bootable media" message. Upon restarting again, I checked the BIOS to see if my drive was there; surely enough, it wasn't.

After reseating the cables, it showed up, but only to blue screen on loading the OS. So I tried reinstalling the Windows on another drive and using the SSD as a secondary drive. I'm able to browse it, but when I try to copy files, the drive just disappears again. Turning the machine off for a while, then back on will make the drive reappear. I've also tried booting from some linux live disks to see if I could copy the files from the drive; same thing occurs, the drive disappears in the middle of copying.

I've read through a handful of forum posts and have tried various things that were suggested:

- switching cables

- switching ports

- enabled AHCI

- disabled TRIM

- LPM fix

- set HD sleep to never

- updated Intel RST drivers

- updated firmware to 2.4

- manually set DRAM voltage

- switching from S3 to S1

Not all at once, of course, but none of which seemed to get my SSD to stay for good. Last things I have yet to try are to go out and buy different (hopefully better) cables and updating my bios to the latest version. I was wondering if anyone ever resolved this issue, and if so what was it that I missed. Also would like to know if the issue has not been resolved yet so I don't keep spinning my wheels.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm seeing the same thing with a Force GT 120 GB - would rarely get a BSOD as Windows would suddenly not find the HDD and on reboot the SSD would be missing. Powering down and then back up would bring it back. It's happened 3-4 times in the past month since I've had the drive.

Haven't tried updating the firmware yet to 1.3.3 (it had 1.3 on it when it came in) or doing a secure erase/reinstall as I'd like to avoid that if possible. This is a brand new install though on a new system, 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate.

Was hoping I could recover some of the data before reaching this point, but do you think that its beyond being saved? The data isn't too important, but it would be nice if I could some how recover it.

Plug the SSD into another computer or put the SSD in an USB enclosure and plug it in another computer's USb port and it should be detected. If it disappears during the copying process, try copying files one by one instead of simultaneous copy tasks.

Once you done copying do a secure erase and reinstall Windows. Don't activate it yet. Once you reach your desktop copy some large files to the ssd simultaneously and if it disappears Submit an RMA.

If it fails to install Windows, Submit an RMA.

@xnap

Update to firmware 1.3.3.

So I ended up trying to update the bios and switch to better quality cables - none of which worked. I proceeded to back up my files. Transferring them one by one I was able to get most of what I wanted back.

Afterwards I tried secure erase using Parted Magic. Even though I ran the disk erase, and it said that it completed, I was still able to browse the files on the drive. This confused me as I thought it was supposed to write all zeros across the drive? I tried a few more times, but it always completed in a few minutes and I was still able to browse the drive.

I decided to try installing Windows anyway. I had to format the partition from the Windows install disc before installing. The install was successful. So far I've tried transferring a few large files from my backup drive and it seems to be running OK. I suppose only time will tell... if I run into any problems I'll post again.

Thanks for the advice Toasted.

I had the same issue with my Force 120 GB.

One day went to boot up and BIOS and no SSD listed.

Tried removing it a few times to make sure connection was good to no use.

Plug into another computer and it saw the SSD right away and i was able to copy all the data. Plugged the drive back into the laptop and all was good and working ?!?!?!?

Fast forward two month and same thing happened again. Just no HD listed as detected in the BIOS. Plug it into the desktop, backup and plug it back and it works again.

This is just too strange. No changed done to SSD at all, not even scan disk.

Do you guys think the SSD itself is defective?

Archived