Jump to content
Corsair Community

700/800D Front panel bay covers


Recommended Posts

For a little mod I'm working on, I'm going to need to remove the aluminium plates from the case bay covers. Given their thickness, the first attempt didn't go to plan, but I can salvage that one for part of the mod.

 

Any suggestions on how to remove the aluminium without bending it? I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, probably, and start with heat. If that fails, perhaps a soak in some IPA to break down the adhesive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they are anything like the ones on the 650D, which I believe they are, just simply boil them, it will soften the adhesive to the point where the thin metal can be separated without damaging the anodizing or bending the thin plate. I would also suggest using something such as a wide putty knife to help you along. It'll allow you to evenly apply pressure and force to separate the pieces without running the risk of bending them. Alternatively, you can also just cut away the ABS plastic that supports the aluminum and sand it all away. It's a tedious process, but it will yield great results.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow sorry to hear that. How hot was your water? I probably should have said low boil, I have managed to peel two of the ones from my 650D perfectly by boiling them. All is not lost though, I have 4 on standby just laying around if you need them. I'm not sure where you're located but I'd be willing to send them to you since I don't need them since all of my bays are occupied...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the two aluminium plates off, finally! For anyone doing it, here is what I did:

 

Put some Isopropyl Alcohol in a sealable plastic bag, a little larger than the bay cover. Place the cover inside, so that the aluminium is face down and covered by the IPA. Leave for a few hours to loosen the adhesive around the sides.

 

I then used a hairdryer on hot, low fan, to heat the aluminium plate and lever the front off at the same time. Went very slowly, but it came off quite easily with very little bending of the metal, and no damage to the anodising.

 

I've now returned both metal pieces (with a lot of stubborn adhesive left on them) to the bag with IPA in it, so it breaks down the sticky buggery stuff. When I tried this with the damaged front, to try it, the adhesive came off very easily just using a credit card to scrape it off in one gooey lump. Then I'll clean off any last traces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...