Corsair Community

H60 Install Issue

WarNPeace

Alright, today I purchased a Corsair H60 in order to cool my PC as I was getting rather high temperatures with my previous fan unit (45C idle, 60-65C full load). I installed it per the instructions (and I also watched the instructional video). I had cleaned the previous thermal paste off and made sure there was nothing left. I set everything properly (as far as I know), and then put everything back in its place. When I turned on the computer it booted up, but there was no display from the monitor. All case fans ran, the LEDs on my motherboard lit up, my graphics card fan spun up, and my PSU was acting normal. However, I received no signal on my monitor. It was just a black screen. I tried the on-board GPU to no avail. Nothing but a black screen. I know the monitor is still good as it will say "check video cable" when unplugged and then switches to "monitor going to sleep" after a few seconds of the aforementioned message. I checked and rechecked multiple times for any possible unplugged cables, or anything else that might cause a problem. Tried tightening and loosening the bolts for the waterblock and nothing happened. Finally, I set everything back to how I had it before (without the H60) and just my previous fan. It still does not display. Any suggestions?

Case: NZXT M59

Mobo: NX980-G65 MSI

GFX: GTX480 OC

PSU: 1000W ######## continuous

P.S. I am not sure if it overheated or shorted the CPU as there was never any acrid smell or dramatic heating from it. I am at a loss after many hours of searching for a solution.

-GPU is fine.

-I don't have another board with an AM3 socket.

-No, there are no codes. I just hear the standard boot-up beeps and hums. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not sure how it could be the motherboard that's fried. It was working fine before I installed this and there were no loose parts or anything that could have shorted it.

I believe I have found the issue. I cleaned the thermal paste from the bottom of the waterblock and discovered a slight imperfection (scratch) underneath. I believe this may have shorted out my processor (and in the upper right corner there appears to be an exit from the current). Not sure what to do about this..I guess I am going to call tech. support and see what they can do.

I believe I have found the issue. I cleaned the thermal paste from the bottom of the waterblock and discovered a slight imperfection (scratch) underneath. I believe this may have shorted out my processor (and in the upper right corner there appears to be an exit from the current). Not sure what to do about this..I guess I am going to call tech. support and see what they can do.

I don't understand how an electrical short circuit could have occurred. The copper plate on the waterblock does not have a voltage applied to it, and the top of the CPU certainly doesn't. If there are exposed wires near the copper plate, then of course a short would have occurred, but that should never happen and not a fault of the copper plate.

What do you think is the source of an electric current in the copper plate?

• Corsair Employees
Doesn't sound like a cooler issue, the fact that the system didn't even post. Check the pins on the CPU and see if the is any bent ones. If this is a known working system prior to adding the H60 then something might have been changed or altered. Does the system stay on when you power it up?

Archived