Corsair Community

Force Series 3 120 GB still hanging/BSOD

CodeThreeBack

Hey all new to the forum.

I am pulling my hair out trying to solve the issues I have with my drive. I bought it new and it had firmware 1.3 preapplied. I was getting a BSOD every few hours and the windows system hangs other users have described (slowly start losing windows responsiveness until the whole system is hung).

I applied the 1.3.3 firmware and that seemed to make things better. I then reinstalled windows just to clean things up.

Now, I usually wake up in the morning to a BSOD (here is the latest photo.JPG).

And even today I've had two system hangs. What am I doing wrong? I really don't want to RMA this drive and it seems once 1.3.3 hit people's issues with these drives went away for the most part. The part # on my drive is 1138 (or something like that).

Please help!

My drive had firmware 1.3.2 on it when i bought it.

I wonder if your hardware has some fault to it - looks like it's not working properly - might end up being an RMA :(

Have you updated the stuff for your motherboard? My hangs stuck around until i found an update for the chipset on my motherboard.

Oh, and I also changed out my SATA cables - the ones that came with my motherboard were pretty cheap feeling. The new ones were only a few bucks and felt like pretty good quality.

The BSOD can mean many things.

-Try a new SATA cable

-Try a different SATA port

-Check for new Chipset drivers.

-Check if AHCI is enabled in the BIOS and Windows.

Once you done the steps below and it is still crashing.

Run memtest and check if the RAM is faulty.

If memtest completes with errors, RMA the RAM sticks.

If it memtest passes, boot in to windows and then open up Command prompt and type "chkdsk /r"

(No quotes).

-If it chkdsk says anything about bad sectors RMA the drive.

If it passes chkdsk and if it still BSODs open Command prompt and type "SFC /SCANNOW" (No quotes).

If SFC /SCANNOW completes and the BSODs is still there, Secure erase the drive and reinstall Windows.

Once you reinstalled Windows and it is still crashing Submit an RMA.

If you are going to Submit an RMA and you want to be sure that all data on the SSD is erased. Run a secure erase.

Tutorial to Secure erase

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85344

Are you using the Intel SATA connections or the Marvell SATA connections?

I'm sort of a newb at this, how can I tell which ones I'm using? I have the drive connected to the SATA3 port for 6gigs speeds and if I read my mobo manual right, I believe those ports use Marvell.

I'm sort of a newb at this, how can I tell which ones I'm using? I have the drive connected to the SATA3 port for 6gigs speeds and if I read my mobo manual right, I believe those ports use Marvell.

Consult your manual to be sure or ask the manufacturer. The Marvell controllers are problematic. I suggest you use the Intel ports on your MOBO and not the Marvell. If you have issues after the switching to the Intel ports, then update to the 1.3.3 firmware.

Like I said, I'd already updated the firmware to 1.3.3 and the issues are recurring. I switched the connection to the mobo to a normal SATA port which uses a GIGABYTE controller (I think ... deciphering the mobo manual). It seems to be pretty solid now. However, I'm not getting the 6gig/s speeds I specifically bought this drive for.

If the Marvell controller/driver is causing these issues, is there a way to update them?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmmm. I am I guesss what you call an enthusiast. I have the exact same issue on the same drive that I bought on Friday. Thing is I have also recently owned a Vertex 3 and an Agility 3 and an Intel 510 and they all worked flawlessly. I am gong to give it one more try and exchange for the same Monday morning as this must be broken. Can't be m system as all the other worked fine. I'll give one more try but if it oes he same I am don with Corsair SSDs. Should not have to do all these workarounds.

Yellowbeard or Ramguy,

I just installed my 120GB Force 3 drive two days ago with a fresh copy of Windows 7 64 bit. Since last night I have been getting blue screen errors on boot up 0x0000006B or something like that. I updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.3 by plugging it into a working pc, as directed here in the forums but it didn't make a difference. I have submitted an RMA ticket but is there anything else I can do to fix the problem without sending it out?

I'm using an Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard and have the Force 3 connected to the Intel Sata 6Gbits/second controller. ACHI mode is enabled by default.

Yellowbeard or Ramguy,

I just installed my 120GB Force 3 drive two days ago with a fresh copy of Windows 7 64 bit. Since last night I have been getting blue screen errors on boot up 0x0000006B or something like that. I updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.3 by plugging it into a working pc, as directed here in the forums but it didn't make a difference. I have submitted an RMA ticket but is there anything else I can do to fix the problem without sending it out?

I'm using an Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard and have the Force 3 connected to the Intel Sata 6Gbits/second controller. ACHI mode is enabled by default.

Try firmware 1.3.3.

i really dont want to reinstall windows, battlefield 3, starcraft 2, WoW, and all my other software/benchmarks. It took all day yesterday setting the new pc up.

Do you have a spare drive you could use to store a backup or cloned image to? Many users have benefitted from a secure erase or a secure erase + clean install. The other option if you choose not to troubleshoot is to RMA the drive.

i guess i will have to try to secure erase it. it's a pain right now because i'm trying to install secure erase onto the bootable flash drive using the links you provided in another post. been trying for the past 30 mins and still can't find the ISO file for Secure Erase...

still no luck with the bootable usb drive. i can't copy secure erase onto it properly.

Please stop spamming multiple threads. Our tech support is closed right now and it's impossible to assist you if you are bouncing around posting randomly in mutiple threads that do not apply to your issue.

Have you looked HERE for the Parted Magic ISO?

sorry, it's very frustrating/irritating to spend $2000 on a new system and not be able to boot into a fresh copy of Windows 7. I've been planning this build since July.

update: my system finally recognizes and boots into parted magic but my screen has turned black and parted magic has froze up.

Archived