Corsair Community

H80 no light no spinning

Arkhan

Hi everyone !

I've just set up my brand new H80, and after hours of trying and searching, it still won't operate properly.

The pump seems to be working, though it does not activate the fans... The LEDs do not switch on and I can't change the user profile (well I don't know whether I can since no LED nor spinning fan :/)

What I did was to unmount one of the fans and just plug the remaining one on the CPU_FAN header. I can use my pc, but I didn't pay to play McGyver ! My MB is regulating one fan, but it's still too loud and cool too much (CPU cores at 15°C !). I'd rather have them at 30°C and have a dead silent rig :)

Here is what i've tried:

I plugged the 3-pin and the molex connectors

I plugged the fans on the side of the pump

--> no glow, no spinning (and the beginning the pump didn't even pump !)

I tried another header for the pump

I tried another molex connector

I tried another molex cable

I tried the standard installation procedure with all 2 molex wires / 4 molex connectors.

Is there any tweak I could try ? Or should I just RMA my unit (which will cost me about half its value, thanks Corsair...)

hey pal, same here.

brand new H80 doesnt work as it should.

pump is pumping, fan controller dead, no lights.

one fan is working sometimes.

i give it up after hours of resetting and pressing the button.

i got a fan controller, so i control the fans manually at the moment.

but hey, this is one of the most expensive coolers,

and this damn piece should work as intended !!!

i am really thinking about turning it in for a standard cooler,

which always works.

corsair support: any idea?

if i have to take it out of my pc, it will never find its way back in again.

And one more question to corsair: Why the hell is there a flyer in the H80 package which wants me not to bring this piece back to the store in capital letters?

looks like you knew it wouldnt work!

Edit: Arkhan, You really sit in a room with under 15°C ambient temperature so it cools down the CPU to 15?

wow, cool dude :)

The temp in my room is 20-22°C

The cores have cooled down to 12°C !! while the computer is idle...

If I take it out and RMA it, it'll cost me about 30€ ($40) to send to Holland where Corsair is in Europe... Let's just say I'm quite crossed atm :mad:

It looks like they've had many RMA and wanna try to help customers out with emails first... But I can't even reach them since there's no hotline and the number in the US says I'm gonna be charged (a lot !).

Thank god i can speak English, but what about those who can't (that's to say 90% of the world )?

Sorry guys, sounds like you both have bad units. You can try resetting the firmware in the H80, with the following procedure. This is how Corsair recommends doing this, I copied it from another thread in the stickies:

To reset the firmware, use the following procedure:

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds

2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run

3. Shut down your computer

4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer.

If that does not work, you should return the unit to your retailer, or start a RMA with Corsair.

@Arkhan: Sorry mate i think it does not read your temperatures correctly, you can NOT cool down your CPU below ambient temperature with only the H80!

so beware of any hardware defects, be cautius!

@parsec: Thats the proceure i tried at least 30 times.

Why should i get the H80 again if they all are defective ???

I have tried resetting the firmware but that wouldnt do either.

it's weird, when I first plugged it in, the pump glowed but didn't pumped nor spinned the fans. now it's doesn't spin the fans, it doesn't glow, but it pumps...

I just installed mine. Fans are not spinning and pump is not working.

But when I unplug 3-pin connector from CPU_FAN header everything works (pump, fans, profile changer) but I can not see RPM on CPU_FAN.

I didn't try reset FW. I will do as soon I get home.

I just installed mine. Fans are not spinning and pump is not working.

But when I unplug 3-pin connector from CPU_FAN header everything works (pump, fans, profile changer) but I can not see RPM on CPU_FAN.

I didn't try reset FW. I will do as soon I get home.

This helped me:

To reset the firmware, use the following procedure:

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds

2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run

3. Shut down your computer

4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer.

THX

Archived