Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and Asus P7P55D Deluxe - Only 4 GB usable

dimijim

I have "inherited" a 2-yr old system with 8gb (2 sets of 4gb)(see my specs) and noticed that although all 8gb are recognized by OS,4 are "hardware reserved".

Checking the mobo manual, it states that it supports only 1 DIMMs 1600 per channel.

However, checking the "Learn & Explore" section of Corsair's site, its top compatible choice is the 16gb upgrade CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 (4 x 4gb).

Doesn't that fly in the face of Asus's capability? If not, why would that work?

Is there any way I can make my current DIMMs work at the full 8gb?

Should I presume that a DDR3 - 1333 would work fine?

(I'm new to this, so pardon my basic questions!)

Thanks

Thanks for prompt response. OK, I guess my current memory is a 'sunk cost'. And I take your point: to upgrade, I'll get a new set.

Now, if I stay at 8 gb, will the DDR3-1333 work properly - e.g. CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 (2 x 4gb) (my most probable choice, to start with.)? Similarly, for 16gb upgrade, CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 (4 x 4gb)?

In other words, would the 1333 max speed overcome the 1 DIMM/channel limitation of the 1600 on this mobo?

Thanks again.

"noticed that although all 8gb are recognized by OS,4 are "hardware reserved". Is the memory remapping function enabled in your BIOS? To get some of that 4GB back this feature in the BIOS needs to be enabled so Windows can remap part of that reserve. It is under the advanced tab, then "Northbridge Chipset Configuration" Page 3-21 in your motherboard's manual:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55D_Deluxe/#download

Relevant FYI link (skip the part about agp aperture size, only applies to systems using AGP video cards):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

If memory remapping is enabled already, then you may have a mismatched RAM kit problem. Sometimes just swapping the kits to each others channel solves it.

Thanks for response, Garvin.

I checked the BIOS and the remapping is indeed enabled. So it must be the 1600 limitation (manual p2-11).

I also got a response from Asus in answer to my question:

"I wish to upgrade memory. My question is: if I choose DDR3 -1333 DIMMS, can I put 4

DIMMs x 4gb? Corsair's site shows that CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 is compatible. Is this correct? Will all 16gb be available?"

Asus: "In theory, yes. But the memory modules you mentioned are not listed in the QVL.

You could doulbe check with Corsair, if they have tested the memory modules pass on the motherboard, you could consider to use it."

I presume Corsair does such tests; can RamGuy confirm that? If so, that brings me back to one of my original questions above ""Learn & Explore" section of Corsair's site, its top compatible choice is the 16gb upgrade CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 (4 x 4gb).

Doesn't that fly in the face of Asus's capability? If not, why would that work?". Could that be because the DIMMs might run at, say, 1333 and thus skirt the limitation? (if so, why bother with 1600?).

Anyway, thanks for help with my basic questions!

Rgds

"I checked the BIOS and the remapping is indeed enabled. So it must be the 1600 limitation (manual p2-11). Nope, the limitation you're running into is mismatched pairs, a matched pair is a kit. With the advent of dual channel capable memory controllers it became possible to run RAM at higher speeds. However, the memory controllers were very picky about seeing matched IC's (Integrated Circuit chips) on the ram modules and between the modules. The error you're seeing, 4GB Hardware reserved, is one of the possible results of trying to run mismatched kits.

"it states that it supports only 1 DIMMs 1600 per channel" This is just the standard motherboard manufacturer legalese to cover their rear. Basically they're saying that they're sure with compatible matched pairs of 1600Mhz rated RAM modules you can get them to run at 1600Mhz as long as only 1 stick per channel is installed. Your board is a dual channel board, so two channels = two matched sticks. Legally, according to Asus, all bets are off if trying to run 4 sticks at 1600Mhz.

The following is a link to your I7 860. In it you'll see, under Memory specifications, that the memory controller within that cpu is designed to run DDR3 RAM at either 1066 or 1333Mhz. What this means to you is that in order to run 1600Mhz modules at 1600Mhz, you'll need to do a bit of overclocking.

http://ark.intel.com/products/41316

Since you're new to this (first total system build?), you could go with Corsair confirmed compatible 1333Mhz rated sticks (4 matched sticks in a single kit) or 1600Mhz rated sticks (4 matched sticks in a single kit). If your planning on learning how to overclock to attain 1600Mhz speed, going with the 1600 Mhz sticks now will save you having to dump the 1333Mhz sticks later. The 1600Mhz sticks should run just fine at 1333Mhz when you do your initial build.

ps: a kit can also be 4 matched sticks in a single package.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, Garvin!

Well, I have 2 pairs of supposedly matched sticks - but as they're 1600s, with those 4 sticks installed "all bets are off". In view of the data in the Intel link, my friend (who bought the system) should not have been sold 1600s, as neither he nor I are 'overclockers'!

So, I'll upgrade to 2 matched pairs of 1333s, to whatever max Ram is compatible.

Thanks again for your advice.

Best Regards

To achieve 16GB problem free, you'll want the kit that has 4 matched sticks in the single kit (4x4GB). To achieve 8GB problem free, you'll want either the kit that contains 4 matched sticks in a single kit (4x2GB) or two matched sticks in a single kit (2x4B). For 8 gigabytes, the 2x4GB kit is preferable, as running only 2 sticks at a time is easier on the memory controller. Also check in your motherboard's manual to be sure it'll support 16GB. On a side note, for anyone others reading this thread, it is necessary to install a 64-bit version of Windows in order for the operating system to see all 16GB of RAM. A 32-bit version of Windows can only see 4GB of RAM maximum.

PS: If all you're doing is running high end games, ie gaming, there is very little benefit, if at all, at this point in time, of running more than 8 Gb's of RAM. As far as I know on a heavily loaded system, lots of background applications running, Battlefield 3 is the only game I know of, with all it's bells and whistles turned on, that can cause a system to go over 6 GB's of RAM usage. Sixteen gigabytes of RAM does give one a measure of future proofing however.

Once again, thanks very much for your advice, Garvin.

My main activities would include basic multitasking (MS Office, e-mails and plenty of internet windows) and soon extensive Photoshop picture editing (not video). No complex games (yet).

So it would seem that 8 gb (in a pair of 4gb sticks) should be sufficient (yes, the mobo can take 16gb); "future proofing" - well, by then I might ugrade the CPU, too.

Btw, should I run memtest on Corsair confirmed compatible kits? I've read it can take forever but one can choose the # of tests; is that true?

Best regards

Dont worry about running memtest on new modules unless you have a problem. Memtest can be a quite lengthy process. You can choose how many tests to run , but if you are troubleshooting memory issues you would want to test each stick individually and let memtest run for at least 4 passes or until an error shows up. Sometimes memory errors will not present themselves directly.

If Corsair lists them as compatible, you can be assured that they were tested on a MB before being packaged. So failure rates on brand new kits are pretty slim

Ditto to Peanutz94's post. Doubt you'll need to run it. The current Memtest 86+ consists of twelve tests, numbered 0-11, to make up one pass. It is extremely rare for a faulty stick to not be discovered on a single pass. Even rarer if it can make two passes.

8GB's enough?- depends on what you mean by extensive Photoshop editing. If you're talking normal size everyday photographs, even the high resolution ones, you're good to go, even if you apply multiple layers of editing to each one. If your talking multiple high resolution posters edited at the same time or billboard size photo editing, you'll probably want 16GB or more. The single .TIF image size limit in Photoshop is 4GB, think 200,000 pixels by 200,000 pixels (Now we're Talk'in Widescreen Baby!).

Thanks Garvin.

Wow! I'll stay away from posters! I meant normal to large size photos, with digitizing of old film/negatives.

Mind you, with the price of Ram nowadays, might as well get the 16gb XMS3 set (CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 4 x 4gb) - about $93 at Newegg - especially as the 8gb set (2x4 gb) seems hard to find.

Anyway, thanks to all of you experts, I'm set to go!

I much appreciate the readily available help by the experts in this forum. Thanks to all!

Best regards.

Hello again, all! Seem to have the same problem - different sizes!

I installed my new set of 4x4gb dimms (CMX16GX3M4A1333C9); but the Setup sysinfo shows only "8gb usable". The Win7 sysinfo recognizes 16gb, but also (obviously?) confirms total physical memory 7gb (with of course 1 gb hardware reserved, which I guess is fine).

I tested all 4 modules on the blue slots, all worked fine. Clearly, my system doesn't recognize the black slots (as with my earlier set of 4x2gb dimms).

The CPU and the mobo should be able to handle 16gb perfectly well. So I am at a loss to know how to proceed. Is there any tweak I can perform at Setup? Or anything?

Look forward to your help!

Thanks

Thanks for responses.

Important progress - setup sysinfo recognizes the 16gb! What worked was the last bit in post #4, swapping the modules around (I thought I'd done that enough times), which I did after having confirmed that the remapping was enabled and then loaded the defaults; as that made no difference, I swapped.

However, Win7 sysinfo recognizes the 16gb but still only shows half of that in physical memory. So, still puzzled.

Hello all!

Good news, at last! I looked again at the link (in #4) to microsoft's 978610 and tried the msconfig suggestion (clearing the Max Memory box). It hadn't worked in my last set up, so I hadn't done it till now.

Well, that simple thing has done the trick and now Win7 recognizes all 16gb in both the installed and the phsyical ram. Hope it stays that way!

Thanks again for you readiness to help.

Best regards

Archived