Corsair Community

Enabling AHCI worth it?

bigg cheese

Hi all -- Thanks in advance for taking time to read this post and assist as you choose :).

I installed my Corsair 120GB force 3 drive yesterday, and cloned my OS to the new drive using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD™ 2.0. I have been reading the instructions, and they wish for AHCI to be enabled first in the registry and then in the CMOS.

I've made the registry change as detailed, and then in the CMOS. Now, leaving that as is, I'm unable to get past the Windows 7 (64-bit) animated logo before it BSOD's and restarts so fast I can't read the message (not that reading it usually matters :) ). If I change the CMOS setting back to IDE, it boots up fine, and runs respectably. I'm running on a SATA 2 controller, so my max possible is 250MBps, and I peak between 213 and 231 using HDTune.

So I guess my question is, is the potential boost in speed worth it, and if so, what might I have missed? My Mobo's firmware is as up-to-date as it can be (latest patch in 2009).

EDIT: I did update the firmware to 1.3.3.

Thanks again,

Joe R.

@ Balls of Steel:

I downloaded ATTO to compare with you, and I had a weird occurrence. My writes were almost as fast as your reads, but my reads stayed the same as HDTune. Don't know what's up there.

Either way, based on the replies here, I won't be getting much better results to make it worth the headache. I do appreciate all of your replies -- Thanks :).

Maybe NewEgg will have another sale and I can get another for my laptop? Black Friday is almost here.:D:

--Joe

If you're already getting 200+ speed on SATA2, then the only thing you're really missing is the lack of TRIM without AHCI enabled. Not a huge deal.

Without AHCI you will not have NCQ (Native Command Queuing), which among other things allows multiple I/O requests to occur at a much higher rate. ATTO won't show the IOPs performance, but does allow changing the queue depth, so you can see the affect of that on the transfer speeds. The huge difference in IOPs between SSDs and HDDs is one of the main performance enhancements SSDs have. Why would anyone not use that?

Also, hot swap capability with AHCI, which provides USB-like functionality with SATA speeds, always nice. Then TRIM, which is designed for SSDs, I would not be without. I know it is sometimes suggested to disable that with SandForce controllers, but that is just... :rolleyes:

Archived