Corsair Community

H100 pump speed fluctuating normal?

Arcgain

I got a replacement H100 today, and it's all hooked up and running fine. Temperatures look decent too - 25C idle, 49C 100% load with 4.7GHz i5-2500k.

But I noticed something this H100 is doing that the broken H100 didn't do: the pump speed fluctuates anywhere from between 1946 to 2070ish RPM constantly. Since I heard that pump speed should be static and should always run at max speed, is this normal?

From what I've noticed, pump speed will fluctuate. It's never going to be exact 1900~2000 is what it's designed to spin at. No problems. Do you have your pump on the CPU fan? And is it being controlled by the motherboard, if that's the case you might get it to spin a bit faster by disabling smart fan control? Also are you using a push pull setup? That will also bring temps down if that's what your concerned about?

Yeah, pump is on the CPU fan connector, and is monitored by the motherboard. Smart fan control is disabled, and it's push-pull.

I'm not so worried about temperature (they are looking pretty good), just wondering if fluctuation is normal since I didn't notice that big of fluctuation on the broken H100 I sent back.

Yea I'm not entirely certain on that much of a fluctuation. However I noticed that mine fluctuates as well. I guess only time will tell tho usually if there going to go bad it's within the first 30 days. Or they make some horrible noise. I wouldn't think much of it just monitor temps

Given you are talking about a H100, the pump receives power from the molex connector, not the CPU fan header. The H100's three pin fan header connector has only one wire on it, only for pump speed monitoring.

In my experience, the H-series pumps vary up and down a bit in their speed, just as fans do. That might be an affect of the monitoring chip on the mother board, or who knows what else. Assuming a speed of 2000 RPM, +/- 200 RPM would be a 10% variation, but I think you're seeing less than that.

Archived