Corsair Community

Raid 1 with two Force 3 GT 240 GB?

Speedo1968

Heya,

Quick question for some experts. Just got some extra Force 3 GT 240gb ssd's that I was building another PC with. I usually run RAID 1 with dual WD Velocioraptor 600gb or dual Seagate 600gb 15000rpm SAS drives.

So, can you actually setup a RAID 1 with dual Force 3 GT 240gb ssd's? I want the redunancy of a RAID 1 setup. No downtime if 1 HD goes flakey. Yes, it's that important that all of my main desktop rigs stay available when needed, 24/7. Even with next day replacement, that's too long for some of my needs.

Currently have a 2700k-Asus P8Z68/Gen3-16gb Dominator 1800 DDR3 for baseline components.

Will this support RAID 1 ssd setup? Or should I get one of my LSI/Adaptec/3Ware SAS/SATA raid controllers instead? Should I do a RAID 10 or 6 setup instead? Have 7 SSDs atm to play with till X-79 systems drop at end of year.

Seems like you got a looot of resources to play around with - why don't you do some research and report back your findings to enlighten the knowledge-hungry people like us ;)

Other than that, if stability is really your main concern, I would NOT go for SandForce based SSDs, but rather some other brands which have been in the SSD game for longer. Or just stick with the good old tried and true HDD solution you're running now.

Seems like you got a looot of resources to play around with - why don't you do some research and report back your findings to enlighten the knowledge-hungry people like us ;)

Other than that, if stability is really your main concern, I would NOT go for SandForce based SSDs, but rather some other brands which have been in the SSD game for longer. Or just stick with the good old tried and true HDD solution you're running now.

Well, was looking if RAID 1 on the Intel/Marvell built in was a good enough. Not many comments with RAID 1 specific. I know, I looked.

Guess I'll jump to 32gb RAM and go with an Adaptec/LSI RAID Card. Will start with a 4 drive RAID 10 to start the validation.

• 2 months later...

Well, sorry for long delay. Build got sidetracked when my 3960x/3930k showed up.

Anyway, went with Intel RT3WB080 to have RAID 10 for my 4 Force 3 GT 240gb. Put 2 Velocioraptor 600gb for data on same RAID controller.

Seems very fast and reliable with RAID 10 over 4 SSDs. Atto benchmarks are outstanding, RAID 0 speed with RAID 1 reliabilty. But, might move this to extra 3630k that I haven't build yet.

Only bad thing is no full TRIM Support yet. I do get garbage collection from SF-2281. But minimal TRIM, I will run some more tests on garbage before I will stamp this as validated for the rest of my systems I need to upgrade.

So, if anyone has some dedicated RAID 1/5/6/10/20 knowledge with these SF SSDs, let me know. Company will be replacing 400~500 workstations once IB ships in another couple of months.

... Anyway, went with Intel RT3WB080 to have RAID 10 for my 4 Force 3 GT 240gb. Put 2 Velocioraptor 600gb for data on same RAID controller.

Seems very fast and reliable with RAID 10 over 4 SSDs. Atto benchmarks are outstanding, RAID 0 speed with RAID 1 reliabilty. But, might move this to extra 3630k that I haven't build yet.

Only bad thing is no full TRIM Support yet. I do get garbage collection from SF-2281. But minimal TRIM, I will run some more tests on garbage before I will stamp this as validated for the rest of my systems I need to upgrade...

I have no knowledge of your Intel RAID board (I assume) or what drivers it uses, and I'm sure it is great. It has been reported that in the next release of Intel's PC RAID software, IRST (iaStor driver), it will support TRIM in RAID 0.

I'm wondering if that will also apply to Intel's Pro/Enterprise RAID products. That may not apply to RAID 10 configurations, and your hardware is likely (Ha!) better than the Intel PC RAID capability, so you're not missing anything. Do you know anything about this? When you say you have "minimal TRIM", are you referring to GC only?

• 2 weeks later...
I have no knowledge of your Intel RAID board (I assume) or what drivers it uses, and I'm sure it is great. It has been reported that in the next release of Intel's PC RAID software, IRST (iaStor driver), it will support TRIM in RAID 0.

I'm wondering if that will also apply to Intel's Pro/Enterprise RAID products. That may not apply to RAID 10 configurations, and your hardware is likely (Ha!) better than the Intel PC RAID capability, so you're not missing anything. Do you know anything about this? When you say you have "minimal TRIM", are you referring to GC only?

Currently running beta driver 5.1.2xx on this Intel Adapter. Upgraded RT3WB080 with SEP Key and SnapShot Key. Driver does offer support for TRIM in RAID 1/10, 5/50, 6. But it has the merge features are setup to work with a timed delay.

But main thing is the VSS and snapshot is number 1 priority on this driver. This is an Enterprise RAID, so will not see it on most consumer boards. And this board only has 256mb cache and no battery backup, so defenately a mid-level RAID.

Testing same SSD setup with 4 or 6 more RAID Controllers. The LSI beta drivers are allowing TRIM in RAID 1/10, 5/50, 6. So maybe Intel will get iRST up to RAID 1 Trim support in a little while.

FYI there's no such thing as a Force 3 GT SSD. There's the Force 3 series, and then there's the Force GT series.

What's IB?

Ivy Bridge, update to current Sandy Bridge platform. Got a few IB chips and 25~30 associated motherboards(Q75-Q77, Z75-Z77 atm) to validate. Got a few ATI 79xx GPU to validate the video 3.0 PCIe portion. Got a few 3.0 PCIe RAID controllers and 10gb NICs also.

... Got a few IB chips and 25~30 associated motherboards(Q75-Q77, Z75-Z77 atm) to validate. Got a few ATI 79xx GPU to validate the video 3.0 PCIe portion. Got a few 3.0 PCIe RAID controllers and 10gb NICs also.

Such hardship. ;): Then again, playing musical mother boards with several CPUs could stress one's sanity.

Archived