Corsair Community

Where is the best place of TEMP files ?

momosala

Hello,

I would like un advice for temporary files: temp, temporary Internet files, swap file ...

Where is it better to place them :

1 / On the SSD, with the operating system. This has the advantage to enjoy a fast drive.

2 / On another HDD in order to save the life of the SSD, but with the disadvantage of being on a slower disk

Is there a real risk of reducing the life of an SSD if the temp files on it ?

I would Just leave them in their default position on your SSD bootdrive, same goes for the swap file. Microsoft recommends they are left on your boot drive when using SSD.

SSD's are a lot more robust than you think, and evidence shows that the life of these drives is probably much longer than you think.

If it starts to slow down after a long period of use, just take an image of the drive, then secure erase the drive, and restore the image.

There is no reason for concern about wearing out your SSD from regular desktop use, period.

Your only concern should be how to fit all your favorite software in the limited SSD space, which could justify moving some temporary files out.

If you don't have space problems, all you have to do is enjoy your fast drive :)

Like FoLmEr mentioned, it doesn't matter where the temp files go. As long as you don't have space issues then it is fine.

Although I would recommend you change the Page file and system restore size to a smaller size as sometimes they use up a lot of space.

Archived