Corsair Community

OK to remove fins from dominator-GT 2000 MHz?

nellosmomishot

I am putting together a computer and wish to use the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler. However, there is a size issue as the cooler is HUGE. On the Noctua website, they recommend removing the heat fins from the top of the memory modules so that the cooler will fit.

The memory modules that I purchased, CMT12GX3M3A2000C9, came with heat fins on them as well as a fan to cool the chips at the same time. With all the effort that Corsair put into keeping these modules cool I'm a little hesitant to just toss out the fan and remove the heat fins.

So, what I'm asking. Is it OK to remove the fins from two of the memory modules as well as discontinue use of the fan with this memory? Or will I run into stability issues with the memory if I do so? The memory comes factory overclocked to 2000 MHz if that makes a difference.

It is more efficient to leave the fans oriented the way that they are now (pushing air rather than pulling it). I would not be opposed to switching them though, however, even with the fan switched to the other side I would still be unable to use the fan for the memory modules and I would still have to remove the heat fin from the closest module.

Archived