Corsair Community

Force 3 120GB - system hangs/slow downs

stonecutter2

Hi there! I've got a Corsair Force 3 120GB that I updated to 1.3.3 firmware. I still get system hangs of about 10-30 seconds, where the operating system gets "stuck."

I mostly built my machine to be able to play Battlefield 3. Not play it with the best system, but play it with a Windows 7 system that was okay.

The hangs seem worrying. It actually hung up once while loading a map/game in Battlefield 3, and things sort of froze at that point until the system caught up. Battlefield 3 is *very* new too, so that could have been the game's fault. However, this has happened while i'm just surfing the internet or doing things on the computer - not in a game.

I've read other reports of this drive doing this kind of behavior, didn't know if anyone had any insight.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Oh, I installed Windows 7 with AHCI enabled on the drive. Not IDE mode.

And full disclosure, I installed Windows 7 with the drive firmware as 1.3.2 - then updated to 1.3.3 yesterday. Then shortly thereafter still had a system hangup for about 20 seconds.

When things hang up, i can still move the cursor around, and maximize windows, but i can't do anything meaningful in those windows. Then, when the computer "comes back around" it will actually perform all of the actions i randomly clicked on, as though they were queued...but were waiting to "fire off."

I also want to add that I've used Corsair memory for quite awhile and I'm a big fan. When I saw a good price on this drive, I jumped on it. I can deal with occasional hang ups - I suspect this is something to do with the firmware of the drive...however, on the way home from work today i'm going to buy a nicer SATA cable...and replace the el cheapo I got with my motherboard.

Come to think of it, I'll buy two SATA cables - the first couple of apparent "hangs" occurred when I inserted disks into my DVD drive....so maybe the cables are the culprit? I also had hangups when not using the DVD drive, though.

So to summarize:

Hangups. Randomly, not frequently.

DVD drive and hard drive both use SATA cables that came with the motherboard.

Firmware 1.3.3

AHCI mode on hard drive. IDE mode for DVD drive.

I haven't reinstalled Windows.

I installed Windows with firmware 1.3.2, had random system hangs, not frequent, but at least once during the time i'd interact with the computer (a few hours a day).

Then i updated the firmware to 1.3.3, and shortly thereafter again had a hang.

I also haven't installed AMD chipset drivers. I just updated the motherboard chipset with what Asus recommended on their website.

It was an interesting morning - but not because of my SSD :S

I downloaded and installed the "AMD Chipset" update for my motherboard, but when i went to install, it came up as ATI Catalyst...so, since i'm running an Nvidia video card, I was hesitant to continue. However, my onboard graphics are disabled, so i figured what the heck - and part of the update was for my Northbridge chipset...I hope that's what is intended by "update your AMD chipset."

I also changed my SATA cables to a couple from the local store.

I did see that my Windows 7 install was using MS AHCI drivers, and that I had an update for AMD AHCI drivers for my motherboard...

• do AMD AHCI drivers handle this drive better than MS?

As I've run ATTO benchmarks - I see my drives getting about 250-275MB/s transfer rates on SATA2 3GB/s, which i think is pretty good! However, the smaller files (8.0 and smaller) seem to have wildly different transfer rates - sometimes 15,000, sometimes like 600 for read or write? Is that typical for SSD's to handle smaller files so strangely? The bigger files all have pretty fast/consistent transfers.

At that point, while trying to reply to this forum, my screen kept going blank and coming back - so i thought i'd hosed my Nvidia video card with the ATI Catalyst install thing. Then i noticed my keyboard didn't work as well :confused:

Turns out my KVM switch was freaking out - keyboard non functional, display going haywire.

So i directly connected my keyboard/display, and all seems well.

I'll be using the computer at length in the next couple of days. Maybe the KVM was having issues and causing my hangups.

Just a question.. Wtf is "secure erasing"? .. Im swedish and dont understand that quit... Is it the same as low-level-format a harddrive or do I need a tool to do this or is it enough doing it in Windows 7 installation-program?

It's a means of erasing an SSD that differs from a format.

This link might help:

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=4484

Parted Magic seems to be a recommended way to perform the secure erase.

So, it's like formatting, but unique to SSD's. it's a specific command issued to write zeroes to the SSD drive.

So, update.

It appears that having updated to firmware 1.3.3 for my drive, as well as updating my motherboard's chipset, has stopped the hanging/slow downs (as best I can tell).

Incidentally, my drive shipped to me as firmware version 1.3.2 (i checked before updating my firmware).

So far, I haven't had to erase/reinstall Windows 7. :D:

And this drive is awesomely fast vs a traditional hard drive. Battlefield 3 is running great! The only glitches have been the game (freezes during map rotation etc) which I do a CTRL+ALT+DLT to stop the BF3 program to fix.

Thanks everyone for the help - hopefully my issues are over.

Oh, and thanks for the Ultimate Bootable USB Flash Drive, Corsair! Totally sweet :cool:

Archived