Corsair Community

H100 power connector is weak

Ginut

So after having the H100 for mm about 2 moths, I noticed my computer slowing down really badly so of-course my first reaction was to check the temperatures.

When I opened the Hardware Monitor, I've noticed the four cores running at 99*C so I quickly powered down the computer and let it cool down.

Powered it back up and the H100 had no power so decided to start troubleshooting and found out that the molex on the power cable is super weak and doesn't always make contact with the power cable from my Corsair PSU.

Wiggled it around for a bit and it powered dropping the temp down from 90~97*c to 25-35 in a matter of a few seconds.

Now what should I do to fix this issue? I really don't want this to happen when I'm away from the computer, H100 stops working and the water in the pump will boil causing the pump to burst or something similar to this...

So to recap everything, H100 unit is good but the molex connector on the power cable is not so good.

Just received my replacement H100, went to dry test via a spare molex plug on the PSU. Plugged it in and one of the pins popped out from the female molex attached to the H100. Pins in the plug are real loose and the barbs weren't even bent out to lock the pin in place on one of the wires...at least the H100 works :)...once "I" fixed the barbs and hot glued the wire's in place through the back of the molex.

... so decided to start troubleshooting and found out that the molex on the power cable is super weak and doesn't always make contact with the power cable from my Corsair PSU...

What does "super weak" mean?

As Toasted said, the metal connectors, usually the male ones, slip out of position due to their simple design. That design is common to all the molex type pins, but some seem more prone to moving in some of the plastic housings than others. You can usually see a bad connection when one of the wires at the entrance of the plastic housing is buckled in relation to the others. That indicates the male pin has not entered the opening in the female connector, and has been pushed out of it's mounting (sorry, sounds like a biological description of the failed mating of two insects... :rolleyes: )

To avoid any problems, first verify that the pins have engaged correctly. If for some reason there is stress on the cables, use a zip tie to bind the two connectors together.

I tried different molex connectors and i get the same issue, the pins inside the H100 molex connector just pop out basically. Guess this is a bad design of a molex connector?

I made sure they are fully inserted however when wiggling the connector around the H100 resets or stops working, meaning the power connection gets interrupted.

that happened to me. i powered down and pulled the plug, drained any residual power.

i used a flathead jewlers screwdriver to push the pin from the rear while its plugged in. it went in to the female hole nice and solid. i have had zero problems since. come to think of it, that is the only problem so far with the H100

that happened to me. i powered down and pulled the plug, drained any residual power.

i used a flathead jewlers screwdriver to push the pin from the rear while its plugged in. it went in to the female hole nice and solid. i have had zero problems since. come to think of it, that is the only problem so far with the H100

I am going to do the same as I was already thinking about it, but don't want to void any warranty by doing this and hopefully i wont have any power outages.

So to recap everything, H100 unit is good but the molex connector on the power cable is not so good.

After seeing one in the flesh... or plastic, I will say that it is not as robust as some other molex connectors I have seen (and I hate skinny wires!! :noooooo: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Best solution I guess would be drop a super glue in each pin socket while it is unconnected :D

Yes, that sounds reasonable, but given the way the male pins move around inside the plastic housing, and can be off center, I'd be very careful doing that. Otherwise one pin will be pointing permanently up and to the right, the other down to the left, the result being it would not fit in the female connector. I can't imagine any guy wanting that to happen... ;):

• 2 weeks later...

This is how you ensure that pins are evenly spaced and parallel

Cut a thin sheet of thermocole to fit inside the fan molex housing. Gently push till pins cut through the thermocole sheet and are visible.Align the skewed pin/pins with a tweezer so that are equally spaced vertically and horizontally.

Put a drop of quick fix in each pin socket where the wires enter the housing. Leave to dry for about 5 minutes.

Use a pin to pry out the thermocole

Archived