Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB - firmware level and System Mechanic Pro

Cypher871

Hi all, I have been holding off asking this in the hope of finding the information in a sticky somewhere but not having much luck.

I am totally new to SSD's, however, I installed a 120GB Force3 in my system and have been running it without issues for the past week or so.

I have Iolo's Sytem Mechanic Pro and have been using it for years with regular HDD's. They recently introduced a SSD optimization feature within the software but it fails to detect my SSD.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/andycoe871/smp.jpg

It does mention upgrading the drives firmware for compatability, however, this is where I am stuck.

Can anyone advise how I determine the current level of firmware. I have seen various stickies with links for the new firmware but I haven't delved into them yet.

Any help and advice to a new guy would be most welcomed.

Cy

To find what firmware your SSD is just download the firmware update package and run the SSD updater. This will tell you the firmware your SSD is running on.

Instead of System mecanic for optimization don't use it. It may only enable and disable a few settings on Windows. Not actually optimizing the SSD.

If you think yo have performance issues run ATTO.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Toasted, these are the results of my scan

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/andycoe871/ssdresults.jpg

I am new to benchmarking drives so I don't know if the results are good, bad , or expected.

It is connected to my Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard using the Marvell Sata 6Gb connector.

I assume that the higher the transfer rate the better.

EDIT: - Ok, interesting...I followed your suggestions and have run the updater to take a look at the firmware - no SSD's detected. Clearly the drive is present and working, it's the only drive in my rig at the moment :laughing: - could this be because I am using the Marvell connector? It does say in the instructions for updating the firmware that it will fail if connected to the Marvell port.

I switched the drive over to a Sata3 port and ran the same checks. System mechanic and the firmware upgrade application both detect the drive now which is using 1.3.2.

I ran another ATTO scan and got these results:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/andycoe871/SSDresults2.jpg

The read and write results are much closer together now and the write operations have improved by about 30MB/S but the reads have dropped a fair bit. In the interests of stability should I remain using the Sata3 connection or return to the Marvell connection and are these figures average for a Force3 120?

Cheers

I would use the Intel SATA III 3gb/s ports.

The speed figures are spot on for a SATA II 3GB/s port.

If you have a SATA III 6GB/s motherboard then those speeds will be higher around the manufacturer SSD specifications.

Do you know what the reason is for the problems associated with Marvell connectors? Clearly these were designed with the kind of throughput a SSDrive is capable of yet you cannot upgrade the firmware for the drive if you don't use Sata and I have seen other posts that mention Marvell connections causing bottlenecks.

Is it just a driver issue or an incompatability between these ports and SSD's? :confused:

... In the interests of stability should I remain using the Sata3 connection or return to the Marvell connection and are these figures average for a Force3 120?

Cheers

Guys, this is a X58 board, with the Intel SATA 3Gb/s interface (SATA 2), and the Marvell (kinda, almost) SATA 6Gb/s interface (SATA 3).

Given this, Toasted, you know it won't get any better than what he's already getting.

Archived