Corsair Community

Recommended motherboard for two Force GT SSDs in raid 0?

raventy

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to build a new core i7 2600k rig using two 120GB Force GTs in RAID 0 but am having trouble picking a motherboard. Originally I was going to get a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, but have stability concerns after reading what some users have posted. Does anyone have a stable raid 0 working on this board? Or anyone have any other board suggestions that will allow two of these SSD to run stable in raid 0? (In case it affects anything, I also want to put two 1TB regular HDs in raid 1 on the system to store important file so i'd basically have two raids going)

Thanks in advanced for any help / suggestions!

im running a gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with 8gb of corsair memory and 2 120gb Force 3 in raid0 and here's my results. it's been stable but ive only had it running for 2 days i just got them.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/elderfoster/corsair.png

Well, practically the entire P67/Z68 lineup has the same SATA solution supplied by the Intel chipset, so basically you should have the same options with every (consumer/enthusiast) board.

Of course there are variations like what option ROM is included in the BIOS of a given board and also plain hardware faults. But in theory you should be all set no matter what you choose :)

hhmm I was looking up the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, but hear people saying something about not being able to use both RAID controllers at the same time on it. In my setup I want to have two 1TB HDs together on a raid 1 (for protecting important files) and two 120GB SSDs on a raid 0 (for performance in games / other apps). So if my understanding is correct, is this not possible on the Gigabyte board since only one RAID controller can be enabled at a time?

I would be leaning towards one of the Gigabyte boards, My previous board was a Asus mobo and was getting occasional hanging/delay when booting, numerous bios updates never seem to fix it 100%, but no problems whatsoever with the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P I'm using now.

Personally, I think they still have some work to do to get the enhanced EFI bios sorted out, just because a EFI bios looks pretty, and you can make bios changes with your mouse does'nt mean it's better IMO.

In any case how often does one go into the bios once you have it all setup.

2 out of my last 4 motherboards have been Asus mobo's, and both gave annoying boot issues albeit quite minor, but still annoying nonetheless.

Whereas the Gigabyte boards just worked fine, I may have been lucky with the GB boards, but can only tell it as it happened, no probs running raid 0 on ssd's at all. Having the hanging probs on the Asus boards sort of defeated the advantage of SSD faster boot times when it's just sat there for a minute trying to find the SSD drives. I only had one pair set up in raid, so unfortunately cannot advise on running 2 sets, and whether they work or not.. sorry.

Archived