Corsair Community

I have enough on H80 (H100) THUNMB screws

lhong23

Hi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21234084@N07/6307335597/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21234084@N07/6307335597/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21234084@N07/6307336387/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21234084@N07/6307336387/

The picture below shows the four thumb screw mismatch with the manual.

This is very annoying that I can't use a screw driver but my big thumb to install it for my customer custom built systems.

I beg Corsair team not to cut cost on saving these thumb screws.

What I want is that I can use normal Phillips screw driver.

Please!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mine came with only slotted thumb screws. I've only tightened them finger tight. Slots are the worst idea for anything around the cpu area as one slip and its potential dead board time. All the other screws are Phillips for this very reason I would presume.

Hi ...

I beg Corsair team not to cut cost on saving these thumb screws.

What I want is that I can use normal Phillips screw driver.

Please! ...

The change to simple thumbscrews from the slotted/philips type was not done as a cost saving procedure for the screws themselves, but as a reaction to the side affects of using screws that allowed the use of a screwdriver, IMO.

Given the size of these screws relative to the threaded mounting studs, it is very easy to over-torque, or over-tighten them, which can cause the threaded portion of the mounting studs to strip or break. I did the latter myself, and I imagine many other owners did too. Corsair then had to provide replacement parts for many owners, which they graciously do for free, but the cost of that likely became an issue they wanted to reduce or end. So they changed to tool-less thumb screws.

While many of the after market CPU coolers I have seen use very small screws which are difficult to work with, Corsair provided large ones that are easier to work with, but then found that created other issues. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.:!oops:

The change to simple thumbscrews from the slotted/philips type was not done as a cost saving procedure for the screws themselves, but as a reaction to the side affects of using screws that allowed the use of a screwdriver, IMO.

Given the size of these screws relative to the threaded mounting studs, it is very easy to over-torque, or over-tighten them, which can cause the threaded portion of the mounting studs to strip or break. I did the latter myself, and I imagine many other owners did too. Corsair then had to provide replacement parts for many owners, which they graciously do for free, but the cost of that likely became an issue they wanted to reduce or end. So they changed to tool-less thumb screws.

While many of the after market CPU coolers I have seen use very small screws which are difficult to work with, Corsair provided large ones that are easier to work with, but then found that created other issues. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.:!oops:

The side affects are the end user problem. If the screw are that easy to be broken, it is the quality of the screw. If you look at CM Hyper 212+, they NEVER break! Their metal quality is steel solid!!

You know, I got the same thing with my RMA. The screws are only thumb screws. Why? My original came with regular screwdriver slots. I don't remember if it was flat or phillips.

Actually, I have the same CM Hyper212+ and I believe the screws actually stopped at a certain point so that you couldn't over-tighten them. Why not do that instead?

We changed the screws because some users were over tightening them and breaking the screws or damaging their MB. They only need to be finger tight.

I understand. To note, I am getting the same temps by finger-tightening. As I understand it though, there are other heatsinks out there that work with much more force and achieve better results. I think I remember one by Prolimatech.

I understand. To note, I am getting the same temps by finger-tightening. As I understand it though, there are other heatsinks out there that work with much more force and achieve better results. I think I remember one by Prolimatech.

Prolimatech provides two spring loaded screws that apply different amounts of pressure on the CPU. They also warn in the instructions that the high pressure screw may cause damage. Increased pressure can enhance the transfer of heat, but at a price. Some users have reported damage to the contacts in the CPU socket due to excessive pressure. The CPU and socket cannot withstand extreme or endless amounts of pressure, and there is a point of no increase in heat transfer with more pressure. Imagine what users would do if they destroyed their motherboard, CPU, or both, if a CPU cooler allowed itself to be endlessly torqued down onto a CPU.

In the case of the H60, H80, and H100 coolers, once the four brackets on the pump have contacted the top of the standoffs, further tightening of the thumbscrews accomplishes nothing. This is the same result as having screws stop at some point, as was suggested earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I seem to be having the same problem. But I only received 3 flat headed screws (which I don't like) ?!? In the manual is a clear picture how the screws should be. I wouldn't complain but it seems even on idle my temperatures stay around 60-70. When I try to do somethin it jumps back up to 80-85, I didn't dare to do more, and I just shut down my PC.

Here's a picture for reference: http://i.imgur.com/vosXW.jpg

I bought mine yesterday in a Belgian shop called Alternate.

Any help, feedback, suggest would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

zombie

If you are missing one of the screws and you installed it anyway, that is why your temps are high. The coldplate needs to have even pressure across the cpu to coll the way it was designed.

You can either return it to the place of purchase,(since you said you just got it) or request an RMA here and in the comments section of the web form state which pieces you need.

Peanutz may be right about the missing screw and uneven pressure on the CPU. I broke one of the standoffs after I mounted a H60 on an i7-930, due to over-tightening as RAM GUY explained. But, my CPU temps were fine even when missing one of the thumb screws.

Zombiedvt, a few mother boards have parts very close to the CPU, and contact the bottom of the pump and cause uneven pressure on the CPU. Your board may be one like that, but we don't know what you have because you did not complete your system specs.

Archived