Corsair Community

400R+H100+Asus Max. 4GZ Clearance issue

stubbs

I have a Carbide 400R that i love, an H100 and an Asus Max. 4 Gene-z. The problem I am having is where the 8 pin power cable for the cpu plugs into the mobo. The power cable is right at the top of the mobo and conflicts with the back fan for the H100. I am thinking surely someone else has had this problem before, given how popular these components are, but I can't find anything in the forums about a successful workaround. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I would really like to make this setup work.

I was also thinking about going with the 500R but it doesn't appear to have any more space above the mobo then the 400R, anybody know by chance if this is true?

I have attached two pictures, the first shows the power cable attached and the second shows about where the fan would go but it would need to slide back to get screwed in.

Thx in advance!

292759375_2011-11-0213_49_28.jpg.bc01cdc8c635063c0b5db318d98964c0.jpg

560551705_2011-11-0213_51_02.jpg.5495bda6873546d5e65098427d66be34.jpg

There is not a lot we can do about that, you can try and mount the fans outt side of the case but you should get grills for the fan and you may need to get longer screws from the hardware store.

I have a similar problem, but with the MB heatsink. If I mounted the fans outside the case, wouldn't the top grill really cut down on airflow thru the rad?

Len

Edit: Also if the top 2 fans are mounted outside and I presume pushing outside air down thru the rad, then you have the two front fans pulling air into the case and the two top fans push air into the case and only the rear fan as exhaust. How is that going to affect case cooling?

Len I am not sure how mounting them outside would affect your cooling, it's not really an option for me because I would hate how it looked and you risk dropping something on the fan blades. I really liked how the top had a raised section for the 240mm rad. If only corsair had put 3/4 of an in more between the mobo and the top or 2 in for a push/pull configuration. Oh well, I'll just have to take it back tomarrow and find a case that the H100 and the mobo will together in. What sucks is I really liked this case.

I have a Carbide 400R that i love, an H100 and an Asus Max. 4 Gene-z. The problem I am having is where the 8 pin power cable for the cpu plugs into the mobo. The power cable is right at the top of the mobo and conflicts with the back fan for the H100...

Thx in advance!

Is the clearance problem really due to the cable, or will the fan actually touch the eight pin socket?

If your issue is due to the stiffness of the EPS power cable, which I have had challenges with in the past, I was able to solve it with an EPS extension cable. Specifically, extension cables that have individually sleeved wires, that are not further covered by anything else. That type of cable has the flexibility to be positioned out of the fans way. There are other EPS extension cables that are simply eight insulated wires and the connectors, as flexible as is possible.

Again, this will only work if the fan clears the socket on the mother board, and if you have some room to maneuver the EPS cable.

The fan clears the female socket on the board but only by about an 1/8 of an in.

I was thinking about maybe putting a low profile fan in the back and running the standard fan on the front half, but I'm kinda worried about the performance drop.

Len I am not sure how mounting them outside would affect your cooling, it's not really an option for me because I would hate how it looked and you risk dropping something on the fan blades. I really liked how the top had a raised section for the 240mm rad. If only corsair had put 3/4 of an in more between the mobo and the top or 2 in for a push/pull configuration. Oh well, I'll just have to take it back tomarrow and find a case that the H100 and the mobo will together in. What sucks is I really liked this case.

Yeah, I like the case also. But I'm due for a CPU MB upgrade probably in the spring. I think I will look for a MB with no heatsink near the top and keep the case. I have seen some Z68 boards that might work. If anyone has a Z68 board in a 400R with an H100 that has no clearance problems, I would like to hear the board type.

Len

Archived