Corsair Community

AMD64 CPU - 1 Gb or 2x512 Mb?

davehries

O.K., After reading lots of threads, I think I know what the problem is with the memory issues and the AMD 64 cpu. As I understand it, the issues result from the on chip memory controller, not the motherboards or RAM. Is that correct? So, would I have a much easier install on the MSI K8N Neo (or any other AMD motherboard) if I just installed a 1 Gb RAM module? It costs a little more, but if it cures that timing issue - it is money well spent. Thanks.

Hi, Please verify this for me. As I understand it, the memory timing issues are not motherboard or memory related but are due to the AMD64 chip's memory controller. If this is so, would using just one RAM chip solve this issue? I am thinking that I will purchase a one Gig PC3200 RAM rather than two 512 chips. I don't want to spend my time trying to solve system issues anymore than necessary. If one (1) Gb will do the same job as 2-512s it seems to make sense to do this. It costs just a little more, but if it removes this issue, and it could be money well spent. Don't you think? Thanks for your help.

Archived