Corsair Community

Help, WIN7 not seeing drive on fresh install

morganf150

Hello, i just purchased a Force 3 120G SSD drive and I am trying a clean build with Win7 on it. Window7 64bit Home Premium does not see the drive to install itself on. I have tried AHCI mode as well as IDE within the BIOS with same results. When I switch back to my old HD and boot up I see the drive available. Also, after running the firmware 1.3.3 update I still see 1.3.2. Are there any detailed instructions for installing one of these fresh?

Thanks,

Brian

I've got the same board as you Brian & installed the ssd no problems. Not sure about your firmware issue though.

Have you gone into the bios/boot menu & set things in there? Two places. 1/ Hard drive order. Set the ssd to first. 2/ Boot order. F10 will save & reboot.

I always go back into the bios one more time to make sure the changes stuck.

Also use AHCI mode.

morganf150, if the firmware still says 1.3.2 then the firmware update didn't work. here's a link to the thread

Go down to "FORCE Series 3" section and click the link that says "Force 3 120GB 1.3.3".

It has an awesome step by step guide with pictures. I used it and it was very easy and quick to do.

Just FYI if you are running that SSD as the Operating System then it won't work. It has to be done as a secondary drive with the OS operating off of a different hard drive. Then once it's done, you should then do a fresh install of the OS on the SSD.

Thanks, I used that procedure to start with with the drive as a secondary. I now have the drive as my boot drive to take advantage of the fast boot times. That is a huge problem if I have to start over to update this firmware. So far I have not ran into any BSODs so I will let this bake in for a while before I risk it.

Just FYI if you are running that SSD as the Operating System then it won't work. It has to be done as a secondary drive with the OS operating off of a different hard drive. Then once it's done, you should then do a fresh install of the OS on the SSD.

Did mine with the OS loaded to it. Updated no worries. In fact it updated two at the same time. The OS & the other drive.

Still had to reload though as I wanted it set up as raid0. :D:

Did mine with the OS loaded to it. Updated no worries. In fact it updated two at the same time. The OS & the other drive.

Still had to reload though as I wanted it set up as raid0. :D:

are you sure the firmware updated on the SSD that was running the OS? Maybe it looked like it did but if you go back and check it might still be on the older firmware still. Also i'd like to see your ATTO results of your raid :)

Can't check the firmware as they are in raid but am 100% that both upgraded to 1.3.3.

There is a before & after for the raid over here>

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99891

First one was in the marvell 6Gb. Second is raid through Intel 3Gb.

Damn that still sucks though because they should be basically twice as fast as that if you had them on an Intel sata3 (6gb) ports but your motherboard probably doesn't have that.

Archived