Corsair Community

3D animator/vfx build....RAM

So.....I just bought and installed new RAM.....

Corsair Vengeance 12 GB ( 3 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ----CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 ------$75

having replaced my old RAM which was......

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) -----TR3X6G1333C7

Was this the smartest bang for my buck?

I don't really have time to OC and test for a stable rig; and my computing needs are based on intensive 3D modeling (Maya, XSI and ZBrush), animating, simulations, rendering and compositing for film and broadcast graphics (After Effects), VFX, CG animations, with some video editing thrown in. So my main concern has always been to have as much RAM as is feasible with rock solid stability, all wrapped up within a modest budget (hence the low end workstation video card).

Any suggestions on how to boost this build? Maybe it's just adding an SSD or a new video card?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Funny thing about computers...there is ALWAYS things you can do to boost performance! LOL

Sure , an SSD would help. So would a higher end card. But it's all based on what works for you. If your happy with it, then that should be your answer. :)

Anyway, have you enabled the XMP profile in your BIOS. I didn't see anywhere in your specs or post as to what your RAM was running at. That would be the biggest performance boost as far as your memory goes. If you just poppped them in they will default to 1333mhz.

You may find out when you start using your 3-d software that it will use almost all of that. There have been a few artists come here and most of them were using 24gig kits because of the huge amounts of memory it sucks up. But just a suggestion and something you may want to consider in the long run....

Archived