Corsair Community

Abit AV8 and Value Select (VS1GBKIT400)

mnewcomb

Any update on compatability with the Abit AV8? I am having serious stability problems. It has been randomly rebooting under XP but *also* under the BIOS. Possibly do to power supply but want to know if memory could be causing it. Antec Sonata w/ 380W TruePower AMD 64 3500+ 1GB (2x512) Corsair ValueSelect CAS 2.5 WD 76GB Raptor NEC 8x dual-layer DVD burner PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro Put everything together and it came up fine to BIOS. Tweaked boot order and restarted. It seemed to go into an endless POST reboot cycle where it would power on for 4-5 seconds then reboot. And do the same thing over and over again. Once in a blue moon, it would actually POST. Pulled it out of the case and just had MB, PS, old PCI vid and that was it. Same problem. So, bought Antec 400W solution series to see if PS was bad. The 400W seemed to work better, however, it is still far from stable. It has rebooted several times in windows xp pro and when it does that, sometimes it struggles (goes into reboot cycle) to POST. Sometimes making it to BIOS but then rebooting. It is also beeping at me! I think it is beeping at me for the NB voltage. I turned off beep on NB monitor and no more beeps! I however do not have shutdown enabled if/when it goes over/under limits on NB. Auto-shutdown is only on CPU voltage/temp/fan. And all of those were well within limits. I am also getting a rounding error in Prime95 after a minute or so of the torture test. FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 I ran MemTest98 and everything was cool. Do you think memory compatability could be causing these issues? Thanks, Michael

I don't want to overclock, I just want a stable system! Now, will they or will they not work together!? I've had a few reboots in Windows XP *and* within the BIOS. The reboot in Windows XP may point to memory, but the reboot in the BIOS? Could memory incompatability cause that? I've also get an error in Prime95: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 within the first minute or so of the first test (torture). MemTest86 works fine. HELP ME RAM-GUY!

NO! The do NOT work in AV8 in dual channel mode. I pulled one of the modules out and have been running Prime95 torture test (mem intensive) without any rounding errors. On my Corsair box: "Guaranteed compatibility with all major motherboards". So, what what do I do?

I removed one of the RAM modules from my system and now Prime95 torture test (mem intensive) runs to completion. This is implying that the AV8 will not run 1GB ValueSelect (VS1GBKT400) in dual channel mode. I will gladly try to relax the timings if someone will walk me through it. Other than that, what should I do?

No, but I put in 2 sticks of Kingston Value RAM (cas 3) and Prime95 ran for about an hour with no problems. Luckily my Corsair memory worked in my Abit DigiDice without any problems. So, Corsair ValueSelect is good for DigiDice, but bad for AV8.

• 2 months later...
I am having the same cyclic rebooting before POST problem. The system: Abit AV8 v1.1 BIOS 1.5 AMD 64 3500+ Corsair VS1GBKIT400 (lot 0425045-0) in slots 1 & 2 Antec TruePower 430 With nothing else but the graphics card running, even after a reset of the bios, I get these horrible reboots. By default, the RAM runs at 2.65v. I have tried 2.8v and 2.7v, all with the same problems. With each stick by its lonesome, I do not get this problem as often. Abit technical support blames the memory.

• 5 months later...
[quote name='mnewcomb']NO! The do NOT work in AV8 in dual channel mode. I pulled one of the modules out and have been running Prime95 torture test (mem intensive) without any rounding errors. On my Corsair box: "Guaranteed compatibility with all major motherboards". So, what what do I do?[/QUOTE] I've got AV8 third-eye and "Platinum Series" Corsair TwinX XMS3200R (2x512MB), and I can't get dual channel mode working either. The memory works fine in single channel mode, if I use say DIMM1 & DIMM3. Does anyone have the same memory & mobo with Dual channel working?

• Corsair Employees
This MB will not support registered memory and the part# Twinx1024R-3200C2 would be a ragistered module. Please see if the reseller will let you exchnage them for the same part# with no "R" or "RE" in the part# like Twinx1024-3200C2.

Archived