Corsair Community

Twin2x4096-6400C5/C5C ideal settings?

Snakes

I have a pair of Twin2x4096-6400C5 and another pair of Twin2x4096-6400C5C. I'm wondering what timings I can use on them. My Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P board set the C5 to these specs (C5C are being RMA'd at the moment so I don't have their settings) and they've been working absolutely fine but I was wondering if I can do any better with either pair. I'm not familiar with the term JEDEC, I notice that there are two different timing settings for each module and is that normal? Thanks!

Number Of SPD Modules 2

Slot #1

Type DDR2

Size 2048 MBytes

Manufacturer Corsair

Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Part Number CM2X2048-6400C5

SPD Ext. EPP

JEDEC #2

Frequency 400.0 MHz

CAS# Latency 5.0

RAS# To CAS# 5

RAS# Precharge 5

tRAS 18

tRC 22

Voltage 1.800 V

JEDEC #1

Frequency 270.3 MHz

CAS# Latency 4.0

RAS# To CAS# 4

RAS# Precharge 4

tRAS 13

tRC 15

Voltage 1.800 V

Slot #2

Type DDR2

Size 2048 MBytes

Manufacturer Corsair

Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Part Number CM2X2048-6400C5

SPD Ext. EPP

JEDEC #2

Frequency 400.0 MHz

CAS# Latency 5.0

RAS# To CAS# 5

RAS# Precharge 5

tRAS 18

tRC 22

Voltage 1.800 V

JEDEC #1

Frequency 270.3 MHz

CAS# Latency 4.0

RAS# To CAS# 4

RAS# Precharge 4

tRAS 13

tRC 15

Voltage 1.800 V

I bought the C5C because I thought it was basically identical to the C5. I thought they just rebranded it as "Classic" because DDR3 is the current thing. I'm surprised that it wouldn't be good to mix them. If it matters, I was doing dual channel with one pair and another dual channel with the other pair.

• Corsair Employees
Even if you have two sets that are the exact same part number and version they may not run together at their rated speed, it is as I stated Hit and MISS, but in most cases when you mix two sets the next lower speed grade will be needed to maintain System stability.

When I had all 4 installed in my PC it was running fine for a month until one time I ran memtest and one of the modules was giving errors. I think they were operating stable. Before that one went bad I had run memtest with all 4 in for 6 hours with no errors and used them in my PC 24/7 for a month. I think that they were compatible. Assuming the C5C I get back from RMA are compatible with my C5, should/can I change any of the settings listed above? Thanks for your advice.

• Corsair Employees
The only way to know if one is really failing would be to test them one at a time at the rated settings printed on the modules label. But you are welcome to try them at anything you like. However, if you have problems at DDR800 please try what I suggested.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you are trying to mix these two sets I would suggest setting them at DDR667 at 2.0 Volts and leave the timing at AUTO, but make sure command Rate is set to 2T and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Dear Ram Guy

I have installed 2 x 2gb of 6400C5 with a new set of 2 x 2gb of 6400C5C, and taken your advice to set them ad DDR667 and increase the voltage to 2.0

So far it is stable, but I am wondering if you can tell me if there are any downsides to increasing the voltage to 2.0 ? Will the RAM last for a shorter period of time?

Thanks in advance

Archived