Corsair Community

How to test SSD Drive

lex2

I've set up a new installation W7 64 bit computer with a CSSD-F60GB2 as the system drive.

It's worked fine for about 3 months but today was very slow to exit Windows and close down the machine and when I came back some time later had a BSOD requiring forced exit.

On restarting, Windows recommended a CHKDSK of C which found a large number of errors and then recovered hundreds, if not thousands, of files.

On restarting again, Windows appears to be working OK but obviously I am concerned about a fault in the drive.

How do I test this SSD? Can I use conventional drive testing software such as SeaTools or is there specific software or procedures recommended? I've looked at the FAQ and support pages but didn't find an answer.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am concerned about data integrity and impending drive failure rather than benchmarking the transfer speeds etc. Are the programs suggested the best way to test for drive problems?

Yes, once you post the test results, we can take a look at them and then tell you, if your drive is operating like it should be or if there is something wrong.

Without those results, we can't tell you anything, nor there are any programs out there to tell you if there is something wrong with it.

Thanks for the advice.

This has happened as I'm rebuilding from scratch a Windows Home Server that lost all my backups due to failure of 1 of 4 hard drives (not the SSD). So much for WHS providing secure backup!

There are obviously now also major problems with my Windows desktop installation, probably due to SSD drive failure, as I can't download/install ATTO at this stage.

I'll finish trying to restore the data I have to the WHS before re-addressing the SSD issue on the desktop. However, it looks like I'll have to try to rebuild the desktop operating system from scratch - not an appealing prospect.

Can I just remove the SSD, attach it via an external enclosure as an eSATA drive on my laptop, and run ATTO on it?

My Windows 7 installation is clearly not working well and I expect needs to be re-installed from scratch.

I've attached the ATTO benchmark result.

The drive is running on a SATA2 port on a Windows 7 64bit installation using ACHI in BIOS.

Does this indicate any fault with the drive?

Should I replace the drive first before starting again with a Windows and system installation from scratch.

Thanks for your advice

538583440_lex2ATTO2.46benchmark.thumb.jpg.ce34ddad628174d45aa41bd40dc55b3a.jpg

I've tried running AS SSD twice but it crashed both times with a Windows message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."

I've attached a screen shot of the program at the point it stopped

768208194_lex2ASSSDbenchmark.jpg.f8e155169001f711c6159d869bbc08d7.jpg

You are using the First generation Force series SSD.

I wouldn't say that there is fault of the drive as you mentioned it is was running ok for 3 months.

3 months is usually the period where the SSD should get a secure erase and re-install of Windows.

There is a firmware update for the first generation Force series drives

Firmware 2.4

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100162

If it crashed, then you have to do secure erase and reinstall windows.

Also I thought you are running Force 3, but since you have an old one, your speeds are fine.

If you do secure erase and reinstall windows and it will still be crashing with AS SSD benchmark or freezing, then you have to RMA your SSD.

I've attached the as-ssd benchmark after updating the firmware to 2.4

What do the figures mean. Is throughput a guide to drive stability / errors?

I remain concerned about the very large numbers of CHKDSK errors on this drive and whether it needs to be replaced before I rebuild my entire system from scratch.

598009702_as-ssd-benchCorsairCSSD-F6010_11.201111-11-42PM.png.4d7cb3ad74c3a6f2275ab59a320b40ad.png

Its new thing to mee too and i have hade these a some time ;) ..but i guess it depends on use, is TRIM enabled and how big is that SSD.

@Lex2, AS SSD is just a wrong tool to use on these. Like you may know those spected speed are from ATTO and you just cant get those speeds out of AS SSD.

Also look your powersaveing setups. Looks like your write speed slows down for some reason after 128KB.

If i look my AS SSD results my storage(3xForce 60GB @RAID0) are faster then my os Driver(2xForce3 120GB @RAID0).

1516292109_ATTOandASSSD@CDriver.thumb.jpg.adee926dbbfafdf0a0bcaf07b1e30300.jpg

1530476868_ATTOandASSSD@EDriver.thumb.jpg.b27098c6d5fead1de162e674f4088440.jpg

Archived