Corsair Community

To 650D or To... Not

C.C.

Greetings Corsarians,

I've been perusing these forums for the past few weeks reading up on Corsair Cases and support in an effort to better grasp building a rig. As I've decided to build one around thanksgiving. (I wanna take advantage of all the Black Friday deals (There are black friday deals for newegg and what-not, right?)

I'm darn impressed, I'll say that right here with these here forums here. Here. Hear! Hear!

I had thought I was settled on the 650D but after doing a little more digging and getting a tad more dirty, I find myself questioning this.

The reason being, primarily, the two 200m fans. After all my research I've come to the conclusion that two or even three 120/140 fans in the front, with then an exhaust on the back and on the roof are better than the 650D setup.

I'm not a fan of water-cooling as it just seems wrong/counter-intuitive to me. Air-cooling is the way to go.

I'm gonna go on the assumption that you want to help me, as you're probably a really nice guy(girl(it). Thanks!

Here's what I'm looking for (feel free to make fun of me for my stupid, green-horn choices/desires)

Windowed Case (The bigger the better).

Excellent cable management (I'm looking for museum level).

Great air-cooling (so I can use near silent fans on low settings).

Easy screens for dust (though I saw a cool trick with panty-hose of which I have many (Don't ask (or PM me).

Classy lookin' (I'm taking this girl to meet my mom, not just to a motel/hotel).

LED Lights (Man invented fire, then he invented Blue LED's for his chassis, I shall not shame our ancestors by ignoring advancement).

And finally space. Which brings me to my build.

i5 2500k

AsRock Extreme4 Gen3

8GB ******** sniper

EVGA 580 (eventually I wish to SLI this Biddy)

CM 1000W 80G Silent PSU.

And maybe a Silver Arrow P/P or the Megahalems with P/P.

Other cases that I was/am considering:

NZXT Tempest Evo

******** Lancool PC-K9WX

and if I can find it on the cheap dollar the ******** PC-X900B (this is my personal favorite, but spending even 200 on a case just seems... wrong. No offense 650D, I still might pick you up.

So, whaaaaaaaadya think? :cool: (Cue Ferris Bueller Ooooooh-yeeeeeah Music)

Edit:

Additionally, I have seen a few people, most notably Mr. Faulkton (that guy is everywhere), mess around with there cases to fit two 120mms in the front. I'm concerned about doing this for a couple reasons.

One: this is my first PC.

Two: tools. Though I have a friend who could probably hook me up with some drumel and what not.

Three: cost. At 170 this case is already over my budget, but it looks perrty.

Finally, four: with a 1000w CM supply, I don't know if I can move that drive bay over to the left. I'd like 1000w because I want to SLI my 580s eventually, and in the mean time I'll be OCing my I5 and 580.

Thanks again peoples!

Windowed Case (The bigger the better).

Welcome to the Forums :sunglasse

The Corsair Carbide 500R would meet most of the criteria you have listed except for the "Window" part. It would allow for 2 x 120mm in the front and 2 x 120mm on the top. There is also room for more fans if required. The Pro's of this are that you don't have to fiddle with 200mm fans.

The side comes with a stamped mesh area that can have more fans on it as well. You could, of course dremel or jigsaw the stamped mesh out and insert your own window.

It uses the same grommets as the 650D, 700D and 800D

The 650D however is a good straight case like all the Obsidian family cases and as you have already read, some people have modified it to suit their needs by adding fans in the 5 1/4 bay area and removing the standard 200mm fans and replacing them with their own choice of fan.

You could also look at the Graphite 600T. The internal chassis is similar to the 650D but has a radio dial like fan control on top of the case.

That's about it, unless someone else can shed some more light on Corsair options.

Welcome to the Forums :sunglasse

The Corsair Carbide 500R would meet most of the criteria you have listed except for the "Window" part. It would allow for 2 x 120mm in the front and 2 x 120mm on the top. There is also room for more fans if required. The Pro's of this are that you don't have to fiddle with 200mm fans.

The side comes with a stamped mesh area that can have more fans on it as well. You could, of course dremel or jigsaw the stamped mesh out and insert your own window.

It uses the same grommets as the 650D, 700D and 800D

The 650D however is a good straight case like all the Obsidian family cases and as you have already read, some people have modified it to suit their needs by adding fans in the 5 1/4 bay area and removing the standard 200mm fans and replacing them with their own choice of fan.

You could also look at the Graphite 600T. The internal chassis is similar to the 650D but has a radio dial like fan control on top of the case.

That's about it, unless someone else can shed some more light on Corsair options.

Yeah I looked at all of those. The 600T, while nice, something about it's oval shape throws me off. And the knob for the fan really isn't for me. I like something more sleek and low profile.

The 500R isn't bad either, but that window is a biggie, and if I'm going to be modding, I might as well mod my first choice, right?

Really appreciate the response though. Faulkton and Ginut have been kind enough to assist me on the 650D photo forum (sorry for the hijack).

Cheers!

Edit:

I should also mention, that after a day of looking for another case, I can't really seem to find one I like as much as the 650D. Maybe the PC-X900 by Lian Li, but that's even more costly and impossible to find from anyone reputable. I might just end up with one and mod it till I love it even more. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the 650D case for most of the reasons you considered. I wanted a classy look, not something that look like it fell of the back of a Warcraft Truck. As I have stated in prior postings, the 650D looks like Scandinavian design -- simple and classy.

Cable management is great. Lots of grommets in all the right places. I am only running two HDDs, so I removed the top HDD case and shifted the lower one to the mounts on the floor near the PSU. This gave the 200mm front fan some breathing room and oomphed the speed from 900rpm to 1,000rpm just due to reduced deltaP. I also replaced the top 200mm with 2x 140mm fans. I do, however, recommend water cooling. Although my PC is primarly used for business (although I'll admit that Crysis is installed), I wanted a super quiet computer, hence the fan controller with all fans on low settings and the water cooler to keep things extra quiet. I'm using Corsair's H70 cooler with the twin 120mm fans in push/pull config. For grins, I also have Corsair's RAM cooling fans.

The computer is quiet and the LED/CCFL lights (I have both) look great. This thing is in my office and impresses the heck out of clients.

Go for the 650D. I don't think you will be disappointed.

1845333483_PC-IMG_0199.thumb.jpg.1e16851a410aa272dea13e93ae422dfe.jpg

189595978_PC-IMG_0273.thumb.jpg.61d0c42f17fec2d09f49322ede9733c2.jpg

570155011_PC-IMG_0279.thumb.jpg.568c14f682200207926995ccf25ee8b9.jpg

291911323_PC-IMG_0285.thumb.jpg.57a89d3318d4e053e7735d7b287ecd84.jpg

1984117680_PC-IMG_0289.thumb.jpg.ab61cdf96475bbfaadd0d5b167068fe1.jpg

I went with the 650D case for most of the reasons you considered. I wanted a classy look, not something that look like it fell of the back of a Warcraft Truck. As I have stated in prior postings, the 650D looks like Scandinavian design -- simple and classy.

Cable management is great. Lots of grommets in all the right places. I am only running two HDDs, so I removed the top HDD case and shifted the lower one to the mounts on the floor near the PSU. This gave the 200mm front fan some breathing room and oomphed the speed from 900rpm to 1,000rpm just due to reduced deltaP. I also replaced the top 200mm with 2x 140mm fans. I do, however, recommend water cooling. Although my PC is primarly used for business (although I'll admit that Crysis is installed), I wanted a super quiet computer, hence the fan controller with all fans on low settings and the water cooler to keep things extra quiet. I'm using Corsair's H70 cooler with the twin 120mm fans in push/pull config. For grins, I also have Corsair's RAM cooling fans.

The computer is quiet and the LED/CCFL lights (I have both) look great. This thing is in my office and impresses the heck out of clients.

Go for the 650D. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Looks Great, I agree the 650D is very nice, I'm in the middle of a build now and love the case!

569578444_2011NewComputer007(Large).thumb.JPG.c2d78dba45d53dd9619bb43a413ede3b.JPG

1844359131_2011NewComputer017(Large).thumb.JPG.c4cd6e83f43d98c5588069f00321034d.JPG

Archived