Corsair Community

Corsair SSD Force GT 120GB write speed drop to 130-140MB/s . WHY????

jackaizen

Dear All,

First of all, I wish all people had a great day. Greeting from Denmark.

I have purchased a SSD like I said in the title about 4 weeks ago. I use this SSD for my OSX Lion. I was very happy with it until the problem happen. A few days ago, I ran Disk Speed Test and I was shocked that the writing speed dropped from 400+ MB/s to 130 to 140MB/s. I remembered the first time I put to my MBP 2011, I run this apps immediately and the speed was very nice for both write and read, it's all above 400MB/s.

I decided to dissemble up my MBP, yes I took out the SSD, put it in my Windows laptop and do a clean installation then run the firmware update to 1.3.3 with the hope that I can get back the speed like I saw from the first day.

However, after I have done everything in the Windows laptop. The firmware update was flawless, I got 1.3.3 and then I swapped it back to my MBP and do a clean installation of the OS X. But I feel pain in the A$$ that the writing speed is exactly the same 130 to 140 MB/s.

And now I would like to ask all of you who have experiences about this, please guide, advices me what should I do to get my SSD up and running like the first day. Just more clarify that I have updated my OS X up to date. And please Corsair, don't let me disappointed. Thank you

Best regards,

Jack

PS: my SSD mode number is CSSD-F120GBGT-BK

Hejsa

Hm, it does indeed seem to be performance degradation due to missing TRIM (like I've heard OSX is lacking - please correct me if I'm wrong). I had heard, tho, that the internal garbage collection should be suffecient but that does not seem to be the case.

Did you do a Secure Erase after the firmware update to wipe all the data and reset the disk to factory performance?

Do you ever let your PC idle like, overnight once in a while? That should activate the garbage collection that'll help with keeping performance up.

If that approach doesn't work or doesn't sit well with you for whatever reason, you'll most likely have to do a Secure Erase and restore your OS once every ~3 months to keep the performance you paid for.

Or, misalignment can also be the culprit if you experience low write performance. I don't know how to check that in OS X tho so you'll have to research that yourself. I wouldn't think so, tho, since your write speeds have been great before, unless you've done some messing around with partitions or restored your OS from a backup?

Dear Yellowbeard or any moderators of this forum.

Can you respond me to this to problem? I have done to what FoLmEr advised 1 hour ago by Secure Erase, I did choose Zero out data and do a clean installation of the OS X. However the result make me so disappointed :((

After finishing the installation of the OS, I run Disk Speed Test and the speed of WRITE was 131 to 137 MB/s and the speed of READ was 398 MB/s.

I run it again, and I got WRITE 141 MB/s , READ 420 MB/s and that is the max performance for many times I tried.

I don't know what else should I tried since this SSD is less than 2 months and the performance is not what I expected from Corsair said in the BOX?

Any idea would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jack

Archived