Corsair Community

AS-SSD pciide BAD

Ala00

I have a Force 3 120GB SSD. I've had it for 3-4 months. It's a replacement after my older one was recalled.

In the BIOS I have set the mode to AHCI (and I am running with SATA 3).

However in the AS-SSD benchmark it still lists pciide as BAD.

My read is 167mb/s and write is 116mb/s.

What is going on?

EDIT: I checked with the cmd and apparently TRIM is running and the msahci driver is installed. Are my read and write speeds normal?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Duel00/2-4.png

Seems like you need to update your AHCI drivers. Did you just buy that SSD drive?

What I would do, is update SSD firmware to 1.3.3, do a secure erase, load latest AHCI drivers (depending if you are using AMD or Intel, can be found at their websites) and install windows.

To load drivers you have to do that when installing fresh copy of windows at the prompt where you have to choose where you want to install it.

Then run ATTO and AS SSD benchmarks again and report back.

The SSD is about 3-4 months old. Yeah I found that the Marvell AHCI drivers were missing. I installed them from the mobo CD, rebooted etc.

Now in AS-SSD it says 'mv91xx OK'. My seq read speeds are now up to 205mbs but seq write is way down to 95mbs.

Could it be a problem with the marvell drivers? How to I switch to the Microsoft AHCI drivers?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Duel00/3-3.png

It also shows that your SSD drive is running on 1.2 firmware?

Also, instead of using your CD to install drivers, go online and download the latest ones.

AS SSD doesn't show true read/write speeds, while ATTO does. It is better of doing ATTO benchmark again.

Also are you running SATA 2 or SATA 3?

Yeah since I'm not getting any stability issues (no hangs, BSODs etc) I thought I'd leave the firmware on 1.2.

I'm running SATA 3.

I updated the drivers from the ASUS website as well.

Here's the ATTO benchmark.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Duel00/4-3.png

I see other sites are getting much higher: http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/corsair-force-3-120gb-ssd-review/6/

That website is also using an Intel SATA 3 chipset for it's testing, and you have and are using the Marvell chipset. We also don't know what mother board, etc, you have since you did not fill in your system specs, we can't answer questions accurately without that.

The Marvell SATA 3 chipset (usually the 9128, or 9120) are well known to have lower SATA 3 performance than the Intel or AMD SATA 3 chipsets. The Marvell chipsets are implemented on mother boards using one PCI-E lane as its transfer bus, which has a maximum speed of 5Gb/s, which is less than the SATA 3 spec of 6Gb/s. Unfortunately, when using the Marvell chipset, SATA 3 SSDs won't be able to reach their maximum speed. Which is why you have the speeds that you do.

ATTO and AS SSD are very different in the ways they test drives, so comparing the two is not as simple as just looking at the numbers. ATTO uses compressible data in its tests, while AS SSD does not. SSDs that use SandForce controllers use a technique built into those controllers that compresses data, which helps them achieve higher speeds than SSDs that do not use that technique. All data is not compressible, so the real world speeds of SandForce based SSDs depends on the data it is dealing with.

• 2 months later...

After finally replacing my motherboard and CPU the disgraceful Marvell SATA ports are gone and now I'm using the Microsoft AHCI drivers. Huuuuggee difference. I'm finally getting the speeds advertised on the Corsair website. Overall performance is on another level now :D

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Duel00/1-6.png

I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd just post this for those looking to get the best out of their SSDs. :biggrin:

Looks good, and yes the Marvelous Marvell chipset running at 5Gb/s has fooled many users, although I can't believe that mother board manufactures don't know the reality.

Sorry, but I can't let this one slip past:

AS SSD doesn't show true read/write speeds, while ATTO does. It is better of doing ATTO benchmark again.

Not true, and as always the devil is in the details. SandForce SSD controllers, used in many Corsair and other manufactures SSDs, use a data compression technique in part to achieve their performance. ATTO uses generated data for it's testing, zeros and ones, which are easily compressed. Not all data is compressible, so using strictly compressible data as ATTO does is a best case situation for SandForce controller based SSDs.

To be fair, most data is compressible, say 2/3 (67%) but that does leave a fair amount that isn't. If you happen to work with incompressible data quite a bit, the ultimate speeds seen with compressible data won't happen. This also affects write speed more than read speed.

AS SSD uses mostly or all incompressible data, so is a more worst case situation when testing SandForce based SSDs, since the data compression technique can't be used. AS SSD testing results won't match that of ATTO for this reason, and some people don't understand that.

Then there are a few newer SSDs that have poor benchmarks with ATTO or AS SSD compared to other SSDs. But when "real world" benchmark tests are performed on them, they beat the others by a good margin. I use one of these "slow" ones, and compared to my other "fast" ones, it will do a virus scan of my C: drive in 20 seconds, faster than the others. So what is right and what is wrong? Everything.

Archived