Corsair Community

Going from SATA2 to SATA 3

SSDMonts

I have an intel x58 board and would like to upgrade. Can a SATA3 card provide the full speed potential of the new SSD drives or do I need a new MB?

I have read that even though a card or MB states SATA3 some have distinct bottlenecks and won't utilize the full potential and speed of the new Force drives.

Any card or MB suggestions or an idea of what specs I should be looking for?

Thanks

Unfortunately not, none of the X58 platform mother boards use anything for a SATA III interface except the Marvell 9128 chipset on one PCI-E lane, whose speed is limited to 5Gb/s, instead of the 6Gb/s spec for SATA III. Although that is how Marvell suggests that chipset be implemented, given all the PCI-E lanes available on the X58 platform (more than any Sandy Bridge platform) not one mother board manufacture chose to use more than one PCI-E lane for it.

Can you imagine if just one manufacture, even on one X58 mother board, chose to use two PCI-E lanes with the Marvell 9128 (if possible...) Owners of i7-900 series CPUs and SATA III SSDs would be lining up to buy them. Instead manufactures must pander to the gamers, and include up to three PCI-E 2.0 x 16 or 8 slots, which are actually used by less than 5% of owners.

Regarding expansion cards that can offer a SATA III performance interface, if any existed that did not cost more than a mother board and actually worked well, they would be common knowledge among PC enthusiasts, and you'd see them being recommended in forums like these.

parsec

Great answer, not what I wanted to hear but that about covers it. (I was ready to build a whole new rig too).

Thanks.

If a whole new rig includes the CPU, then things are different, with (most of) the Intel 6- series SATA controllers, which have two SATA III ports that give full performance, and on the horizon the X79 boards which I believe have four such ports. Some manufactures still put Marvell chipsets on the 6-series boards, but the Intel controllers provide the best PC level SATA III interface. The newer AMD boards should as well.

Can you imagine if just one manufacture, even on one X58 mother board, chose to use two PCI-E lanes with the Marvell 9128 (if possible...) Owners of i7-900 series CPUs and SATA III SSDs would be lining up to buy them. Instead manufactures must pander to the gamers, and include up to three PCI-E 2.0 x 16 or 8 slots, which are actually used by less than 5% of owners.

What do you feel are the odds of an x58 MB or card coming out that caters to all of us that would pay for proper SATA III functionality for this popular and rugged platform?

Archived