Corsair Community

Faulty AX850W?

netc0rd

Hi, folks.

I received my power supply the other day and was alarmed to see that the fan didn't spin up. No matter what torture test I run I just can't get it to kick-start. Due to this I've already filed an RMA, however - I would like to check here first to see that *I* am not the one at fault before I ship it off -

The fan, as I've come to understand it, starts up once you put a 20%-50% load on the PSU. Now, with my hardware setup I have a hard time seeing that I shouldn't be able to reach at least 50% load on the power supply (and believe me, I've tried - Intel BURN test+Furmark at the same time, Crysis for long sessions, and 3dmark Vantage), hence I was thinking it might not be a load issue, but rather a temperature one. My case don't get particularly hot, but the power supply still rises in temperatur to about 45-50 degrees C, so that theory doesn't seem that plausible either.

The only time I've seen the fan move a bit is when I hit the power button on the computer case - It kicks up but then comes to a halt, so it seems to be getting power at least.

I'm really unsure where to go from here - Could a bios reset work? - Is there any way I can put a maximum load on the PSU through conventional means to see if it kicks up?

Any ideas at all? - Any and all help is very much appreciated.

/net out

How do you know the PS is 45 to 50C? If it really is at 50C, the fan should run.

I have never seen the fan run on a similarly designed 660 Watt PS. I can run Prime95 on my i7-2600k at 4.6GHZ, and the CPU pulls barely 110 Watts. My video card maxes out at about 150 Watts, and what else is using a lot of power, the SSD OS drive?

I think this demonstrates the reality of PS power usage in the real world with the new low TDP CPUs. The video card is the biggest power hog, and even then with one card try using over 350 Watts, it's harder than you think.

Hi guys, and thanks for the replies so far.

You have my computer specs in the tab above this post - If I'm unable to reach a 20% load on the PSU when I run furmark and Intel burn test simultaneously on my computer I'd be baffled, to say the very least - Basically, I very much doubt that.

Keep the ideas coming though, really need to get to the bottom of this.

/net

I'm experiencing the same issue on my new AX850W, powering my i7 920 (4GHz 1,2 Vcc), my overclocked gtx570, 2 watercooling pumps, 3 hdds and 8 fans.. Tried about everything to stress the systems:

- Linx+Ungine heaven benchmark for about 1 hour

- 2x prime95 test for 1hr 30min

- Crysis for 2 hrs

- GTA IV for 2 hrs

- Shift 2 for 3 hrs

And after that nothing, not a singe fan spin during those tests, and i guess it's not possibe i didn't reach at least the 20% of load (it's a bit more then 200W!), but the psu is not hot at touch even if in the back side it's quite warm.

I asked to other users with our psu to and with about same hardware as mine and they had the fan working after few mins of just Ungine Heaven.. That's discouraging..

I see tha fan spinning only for about 2 secs (it means the fan is free to spin) when i turn on the pc.. I would just know if there's really something wrong with our psus, and from what i can read here, no1 knows about that..

Two hours of torture test with CPU maxing out at 66 degrees C, and GPU at 92 degrees C. I put my hand on the power supply and I'd say it was at least 55-60 degrees C. Still the fan didn't move.

I'm relieved that at least one more person is experiencing the same problems I have. However, it doesn't solve anything. My power supply will be shipped off for RMA tomorrow, so that's it I guess :/

The fan is temperature and load controlled. It maybe spinning at very low RPM <16dba

http://www.corsair.com/blog/ax-hybrid-silent-fan-control/

It's not a matter of low rpm spin, it's matter of no spin at all.. My pc is on the table with perfectly visible psu and as i said before the fan spins for about 1 or 2 secs when i turn on the pc and no more.

@ SilentDoom

What motherboard are you running with? - I read somewhere that it could be a compatibility issue (interestly enough). If -by chance- you should have the same motherboard I've got, then what bios are you using?

I'm using a gigabyte ex58-ud5, you?

You all might want to check out this page from a review of an AX850. Scroll down and find the paragraph below the first table of test results, starting with the words, "Another thing to note...". On page 3 if the link changes.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=197

In that test, the fan started running when 425 Watts were drawn from the AX850.

Two hours of torture test with CPU maxing out at 66 degrees C, and GPU at 92 degrees C. I put my hand on the power supply and I'd say it was at least 55-60 degrees C. Still the fan didn't move.

I'm relieved that at least one more person is experiencing the same problems I have. However, it doesn't solve anything. My power supply will be shipped off for RMA tomorrow, so that's it I guess :/

Any news about your RMA?

Archived