Corsair Community

NO POST on bootup

pantzdown

Hello everyone, i just got my desktop delivered to me in the UK, it was shipped over from the US, it was built in the US. it was packed securely, no damage to the box it was shipped in or damage to the desktop it self, i have a corsair 750W in it, after powering it up both the power light and reset light cam on and stayed on there was no POST. so i unplugged the PC, opened it up, and replaced the CR2032 battery (thinking it might have drained itself) re started the PC, and the same thing happened, no POST. i then opened it again took out the memory(corsair)took out the video card(GT X 260), unplugged the HD and CDR and DVD drives only to have no POST and not even a beep code of any kind( PC speaker is there and plugged in, i am guessing that the motherboard or PSU is not working, i dont have any other parts to be able to test with, both the motherboard and PSU are still in warranty, what should i try next to deterime what is the issue ?

thanks in advance

i have one of those , i just thought i would use the adapter to be on the safe side, since it worked with my US dell laptop, i have also done the paper clip test it powers a fan, so i am guessing the power supply is ok, which now leaves the MB or CPU ?

Thanks in advace

use the jumper on the MB to clear the cmos and try again.

are there any lights on the MB when its plugged in?

try jumping the power switch header on the MB manually in case the case switch is bonkers.

if all that fails i would suggest removing the board from the case and testing it on a table on newspaper.

i hope the X-RAY at the airport didnt damage anything.

only because im brave i would try the paperclip test with everything plugged in just long enough to see if it posts.

use the jumper on the MB to clear the cmos and try again.

did that ... same thing.

are there any lights on the MB when its plugged in?

No, i dont see any lights that come on, on the MB

try jumping the power switch header on the MB manually in case the case switch is bonkers.

did that ... same thing.

if all that fails i would suggest removing the board from the case and testing it on a table on newspaper.

that was going to be my next step, but that will ave to wait until Tuesday.

i hope the X-RAY at the airport didnt damage anything.

why and what would the Xray damage ?.

only because im brave i would try the paperclip test with everything plugged in just long enough to see if it posts

haha i am not that brave right now .. lol

hello again, i have taken the motherboard out of the case in preparation to do the paper clip test tomorrow, and the test you are referring to is the power switch header on the MB ? also i just sent Gigabyte the serial number to the MB i think its still in warranty,( possible good sign ) will know for sure once i get the email back.

Thanks,

oh well its out now, i am going to do the paper clip test in the AM, also test the board while its out of the case, i also needed the board out for the S/N of the board, plus the CPU fan was caked in dust, it needed to be cleaned. i will probably know where i stand in the AM.

Thanks.

Good morning, well i did the paper clip test.

with the fans connected and the only fan that came on was the PSU fan, i did the test several times, with just the PSU fan came on each time(spinning). earlier in the post when i had everything connected the system fans and the PSU fans did come on, did the paper clip test suggest that i have a short in the PSU ?

Thanks.

Hey that's why i went with a corsair PSU, well thanks for the help, on the RMA link on the drop down box where it says 'select your product from the list' what option should i use ? 750W UK ? even though i brought the PSU while i was in the US ?.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone, i am back again. i have had my motherboard tested, got a new CPU, and i am still not getting a POST, (see Attachments and previous post) i was to send my PSU but the price to ship it was very expensive, i did all the test in the previous post and it was determined that i get a RMA for a replacement PSU. can i still get a RMA for the PSU? is there any thing i can go to get corsair to accept the shipping charges to them ?

Thanks

ps can i get an advanced RMA.

63365404_010SYSTEMSUMMARY.thumb.jpg.07150ccadc1cba6a7d9da758f63a237b.jpg

932386070_CorsairPSU.JPG.ccc84482fc2628b85b49d7e9cc6277e2.JPG

FWIW, the manual for the mother board shows a -5V pin on the ATX 24 pin mother board power connector. A TX750 does not have a -5V rail.

The picture and text for the connector might just be a copy and paste error from older manuals. This board was first available in early 2009 from what I can see, which is not that old. Could it really need -5V power, and fail to boot due to the lack of it?

Hello, Thanks for the reply, if the TX 750 does not have a -5v then why was this machine was working fine the last time i used it, (April 2010,)and was working since the build in April 2009,

i have since move to the UK, had it shipped over, when i opened it up before i powered it up, i noticed someone had been inside it, loose MB, CPU was taken out and put in backwards, i have had the sent out and tested, i have replaced the CPU, so i am confused why its not posting,:confused:

Hello, Thanks for the reply, if the TX 750 does not have a -5v then why was this machine was working fine the last time i used it, (April 2010,)and was working since the build in April 2009,

i have since move to the UK, had it shipped over, when i opened it up before i powered it up, i noticed someone had been inside it, loose MB, CPU was taken out and put in backwards, i have had the sent out and tested, i have replaced the CPU, so i am confused why its not posting,:confused:

Just checking when I saw that picture in the manual, I really didn't think the board used -5V power, as I said, FWIW.

OMG, was your PC "searched" in customs? Who knows what else happened when it was opened up, that is a real shame. Would locking the CPU socket with the CPU in backwards damage the socket? So the board was tested?

Assuming your PC was searched in customs, and they seemed to remove the CPU, IMO opening the PS would be rather obvious too. Are the warranty seals on the PS intact? What a disaster, good luck with that.

Archived