Corsair Community

What are the power requirements of the H60 pump?

evilnickwong

I'd like to know if anyone has some info on the wattage or current that the H60 pump draws?

I've had it with the rattling/buzzing/hard disk noise that it makes and I want to try lowering the speed a tad to see if it helps.

But I need to know if a regular fan controller will work or something beefier is required?

i dunno, the magnetic field that powers the "turbine" needs 12v to properly operate, any slower i just would not trust it. im not saying RG is incorrect, im just that paranoid.

are the tubes on the rad mounted on the bottom? try laying the case down on its side to see if the noise changes. if not you are perfectly welcome to request an RMA with the link on the left.

sorry i could not be more help.

This is how my H60 is installed:

http://i.imgur.com/nYZgN.jpg

I've run the H60 on its own and just turned it around all ways in the air. It is slightly quieter in some orientations, but generally that annoying sound is always there. And I can always hear it because most of the fans in my case are set to run just below 1000rpm.

RMA would be a last resort as I'm not keen on shipping charges.

I've never seen a power or amperage rating for the H60's pump. Since Corsair suggests using power from a mother board fan header for the pump, it shouldn't use more than 1 Amp, or 12 Watts. Mother board fan headers are usually spec'd for 1 Amp max. Given its size, and comparing it to the motor and current draw of a 120mm fan, I doubt it uses more than 0.5 Amp, or six watts.

I recall RAM GUY saying in a post that lowering the H60's pump speed a small amount should be Ok, but pay attention to your CPU temp if you do. H60 pumps usually run (or are read by a mother board) from ~4200 - ~4400 RPM. One owner posted running his at 3800 RPM, which solved his noise issue, and reported no change in cooling, at least at idle and low to moderate load situations. Reducing the pumps speed below 3800 RPM may affect cooling, so watch those temps!

If you do use a fan speed controller on the pump, be sure to monitor its speed, otherwise you have no idea how far you may have lowered it.

Personally, IMO, I suspect that pump noise may be caused by vibration transferred to the plastic case of the pump, which changes when the pumps orientation is changed. I've seen pictures of the H60 pump with it's top cover removed, and there are three or four small screws holding things in place, which may be loose. That is pure conjecture on my part. Also, on the copper CPU contact plate, there are eight allen/hex-head screws. Using a very small allen/hex key, I carefully tried to tighten them a bit, and several moved a quarter turn or so. Do this at your own risk, they might strip easily! I don't have pump noise issues, and don't know if any of this would help, just FYI.

Thanks for that bit of insightful info! A typical PCI slot controller with a single knob I find on ebay seems to be rated at about 8W so I might try that.

I did read the other posts about people running between 3700-3800 rpm and that's what I want to try too.

Coincidentally, when I first installed my H60, I mistakenly plugged it to my CPU header which had fan control on, it was silent, but it was reported as running at about 2200rpm, i.e. half the usual speed. Amazingly tho, at that low speed, it still gave me better temps than my old Scythe Shuriken cooler. So I'm pretty confident that at 3800rpm thereabouts, there should be zero temp issues.

I have tried pressing the top plate of the pump with my fingers, but that doesn't change the noise. I never thought about tightening those screws on the bottom though. Might be worth a look! :)

I was not clear I see, it's what is under the cover that is rattling, but who knows... Good luck with that, it should work. I have noticed many fan controllers will not provide a full 12V when turned fully on, so you may not need to turn it down very much.

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update to this thread as well for the benefit of other H60 owners.

I used a regular $7 PCI slot controller (rated to 1.0A) and it works fine with the H60 pump. Lowered it to where the noise disappears, about 3600rpm and all seems fine now.

Nice hear someone else confirm my results that as long as pump runs at more than 3000 rpm there are no problems with pump life., Below 3000 there may be problems with pump starting from power up but not tested this as at 3600-3800 it works fine and temps are same as when at 4000+ rpm but without the annoying noise.

evilnick, That's great, glad it worked well for you.

The important point here is that you checked your CPU temp under stress at a reduced pump speed. Any other users of the H60 that lower the pump speed really should test the CPU temp under stress as RAM GUY said.

It should also be noted that, assuming you did this on the PC in your specs profile, that you use a Core i3-530 CPU. That is a 73 Watt TDP processor, running at 2.93GHz, with no Turbo option, but can be OC'd up to and beyond 4.0GHz. CPUs with higher TDP's, like the Intel Core 2 Extreme series, or first generation i7 CPUs, and some of the AMD Phenom X3/X4 or Athlon CPUs, have TDP values of up to almost twice that. These CPUs will require more cooling, particularly if OC'd.

Is your i3-530 over clocked?

So always test and know this is done at your own risk.

• 4 months later...
Guys - I have the dreaded pump noise on my new H60 also :mad:

Which PCI fan controller did you get? The ones I see on ebay are rated to 0.1A....

Are you sure, 0.1A is very low, and almost any fan will draw more current than that. If that is correct, they are worthless.

Here is one for an example, but there are many available, if you look a little bit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995073

Are you sure, 0.1A is very low, and almost any fan will draw more current than that. If that is correct, they are worthless.

Here is one for an example, but there are many available, if you look a little bit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995073

Yeah, lots of them say 0.1A max - I saw that one at Newegg, but lots of comments saying it fails after a few months. Gonna take a look at Microcenter and see what they have....

Ok, if you can find this one at your local MC, I would recommend it highly:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304020

This Evercool controller uses a voltage regulator transistor, mounted on a metal heatsink. IMO, the price is right and it's a high quality unit, I'm using several of them now as fan controllers, usually with fans used as chipset coolers. Never had one fail yet.

Ok, if you can find this one at your local MC, I would recommend it highly:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304020

This Evercool controller uses a voltage regulator transistor, mounted on a metal heatsink. IMO, the price is right and it's a high quality unit, I'm using several of them now as fan controllers, usually with fans used as chipset coolers. Never had one fail yet.

Thanks for the recommendation - that one is showing in stock at my local MC, will try and pick one up at the weekend....

Just curious if anyone running an Asus mobo tried just lowering the cpu fan profile to 80% in aisuite?

Well, since my H60's PWM fans are connected to the CPU Fan header on my ASUS boards, and use the custom profile to adjust their speed depending on the CPU temp, I would not use the CPU Fan header for that purpose.

But, you could try creating a custom Chassis fan profile to lower the pump speed, although I'm not sure if it can be set to say 90% constantly, but it might work. 80% might be to low, but otherwise a good idea if you have an ASUS board with AI Suite II.

Also, my two H60's pumps do not make noise. I have them connected directly to the PS with a molex to three pin adapter, that has an extra wire for speed monitoring.

Archived