Corsair Community

Using TIM on the AX850

Celoth

I have the AX850 and the Corsair 650D case, and I was thinking about adding TIM to the contact area between the case and the PSU to enhance the heat transfer. I am also using sound dampening bitumen/foam mats inside the case, but I can't see that being a problem in theory at least.

Anyway, anyone done this and noticed any difference?

(and no, I am not gonna start lapping my PSU.. :rofl:)

Quite true, peanutz, not to mention the $50 worth of TIM necessary to cover an area of that size.

But if using a 650D, which is similar to most bottom-mount PS cases, the PS only contacts a few small raised areas on the case bottom, which also may have padding material on them. So the question does not make any sense whatsoever. IMO, this post is a classic, albeit pathetic, troll. :topicsuck

Wow you guys don't know your Corsair hardware I see. :p: The AX850 also relies on the PSU housing to transfer heat to the case. Under a certain load/temperature the fans don't have to spin up at all because of these thermal properties. The AX850 uses MOSFETS to rectify voltages instead of diodes, and the heat from the MOSFETS are transferred to the PSU housing. Great design actually.

In the 650D the contact areas between the PSU and case aren't on the big flat areas, but on smaller ones, so optimizing the contact area for heat transfer absolutely makes sense for this PSU.

Edit: Check out the Jonnyguru review if you don't believe me. :p: The reason I wasn't gonna lap the PSU is because it'll void the warranty, and I doubt it would improve temps much over just using the TIM. However, using TIM might be too messy in the long run, which is why I asked about it in the OP.

Archived