Corsair Community

H100 in an HAF X w/2 Gentle Typhoons, how should I set it up? (Intake/Exhaust, etc)

Stiler

Hello, I'm building a new pc currently and with my H100 it will be my first water cooling setup.

In the HAF x there's a fan at the top, should I remove the fan or leave it be? should I switch it to intake if so?

I also purchased two Ap-15 Gentle tyhoons to replace the stock fans (might do push/pull with 4 of them later, but 60 bucks was a bit high atm for me for fans).

So when I replace them, should I mount the fans on top of the rad so that they are pushing the air from the top fan of the case or have it the other way exhausting air?

I have heard conflicting things, some say intake is better because it'll blow cool air over the rad (thus making the water cooler/cpu cooler), others say exhaust is beter because hot air rises , etc. Basically it's just a bunch of back and fourth, which is true/better?

The Haf-x has a front intake fan, a side intake, and then the top/rear as exhaust, if I did intake on top where the rad goes (without or without the 200mm fan already there?) that'd mean I'd have 3 intakes and one exhaust out back, but I've read this creates positive pressure and thus leads to less dust and overlal slighty cooler temp.

What is "best" depends on many things, mainly the PC case, CPU cooler, and graphic card. IMO, your case's design will basically determine how you mount your H100 regarding the fans as intake or exhaust.

Your case was designed for front and side air intake, with top and rear exhaust. With the H100 mounted on the top, if you have it set up as intake into the case, that would leave you with one 140mm fan at the top rear for exhaust for the entire case, which would be inadequate. I can't include that VGA fan duct as a case exhaust, that's not its purpose. I can't see changing the cases entire air flow pattern so the H100 can intake outside air. You'll see how that is not a big issue below.

Do you remove the top fan? Can you mount the radiator and leave it there? The CM page for your case states one or two fans, OR radiator. I'll go with that, the top fan is removed.

You bought two AP15 GTs. Ok, but I would use the Corsair fans as the push fans, and the GTs as pull fans. The GTs are slower fans than the Corsairs (1850 vs 2600 RPM) and can't beat them on static pressure, use them for pulls, and you already have a push-pull setup!

Buying replacement fans for most CPU coolers is not easy, manufactures use good fans on them for a reason, so they actually work!

Worried about the case air being warm? Likely not an issue, because: Two big intake fans, graphics card has it's own fan and vent, 140mm rear exhaust fan, and all the 5.25" bay grills are vented, the four H100s fans will pull air in from there too. If I know CM, the case bottom is vented too. The case will be a dang wind tunnel!

"... but, but, what about...". Some things you must find out for yourself. And you won't know until you try. Good Luck! :nodding:

Well the reason I bought the GT's to replace the stock fans was because I heard that the H100 fans were extremely loud unless set at the lowest/idle.

My case sits right beside my desk and I use my room for Blu ray movies/gaming, so having it be as quiet as I can make it is one of my main goals for this build.

I see, given your case and video card I assumed noise levels might be secondary.

I use a large CM case, with three 200mm fans. They are overall fairly quiet, less obtrusive than many 120mm fans, and move large amounts of air.

By all means, use the GT fans. But some fans do not seem to work well with the H100's fan controller, they run erratically according to some users. The controller is tuned for use with the Corsair fans, not surprisingly, but I think your GT's have worked Ok with it.

Since this is your first experience with a H100, I thought using the standard fans at first would add fewer variables to the performance equation, and give you a baseline for it's performance. Using the stock fans would also allow you to verify the fan controller was working correctly. Later you could judge whether or not changing the fans works for you. The H100's controller can be set to three profiles, one of which is quiet, which may be good enough for low noise.

The Cougar fans seem to be good performers, and I'd like to try them. But their top speed is 1200 - 1500 RPM depending on the model. The static pressure spec is less than one third of the Corsair fans. Their new design may help them produce less noise, but push the same or more air at 1000 RPM lower speed? If so, that would be a breakthrough. Every fan is a compromise, so just go with your priority, lower noise or ultimate cooling ability.

At 1500 RPM moving 70.5 CFM at only 17.3 dB...work really well for me. Low noise, high volume of airflow. Even changed the rear exhaust fan to a Cougar. Obviously, there are couple of other brands that would be suitable...Scythe/Noctua for example.

The temps in my system are remarkable even after severely overclocking from 3.2 to 4.22 Ghz via BIOS and playing demanding video games; 27C-37C (now)...30C-44C (Summer)!

It is curious that Corsair has NOT made additional "supplied" fans available for the push/pull enthusiasts.

The temps in my system are remarkable even after severely overclocking from 3.2 to 4.22 Ghz via BIOS and playing demanding video games; 27C-37C (now)...30C-44C (Summer)!

It is curious that Corsair has NOT made additional "supplied" fans available for the push/pull enthusiasts.

Obviously, the Cougar fans work very well. It always surprises me how some people report poor temperatures with similar hardware and identical CPU coolers. But some people seem to have more finesse than others when using these coolers. What I've been able to extract from simple H60's, with some tweaks, still surprises me.

I thought I heard the Corsair fans would be sold, as least through this web site.

Archived