Corsair Community

H80 Boot/Resume very loud startup noise

Sinyster182

Just build a new system with a Corsair H80. When booting the system or resuming from sleep the fans on the H80 spin up to a very loud level. I've been running the fans at 100% and this noise from them at boot/resume is about 3-4 times louder. Idle it's been running 34C so I'm happy with that. Haven't had time to sit with it and run Prime95. Been trying to figure this issue out first since I don't want to blow a fan out just starting the computer up.

System I'm running is:

CPU: Intel 2600K @ Stock for the moment

Cooler: Corsair H80

Motherboard: P67A-GD65 (B3)

RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Model: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB

Video: 6950 2GB FLeX Edition

PSU: 850w

Case: HAF912

I thought the fans were supposed to be plugged into the pump block sockets. If they are then maybe setting the block fan control to the medium setting will work better. After booting the fans should only run as fast as controller requires depending of temperature of CPU. Have you got the 4 pin header with one wire plugged into the CPU_FAN header so can see rpm of pump when starting?

I do have the fans plugged into the block. And the header cable plugged into CPU_FAN. With the molex plugged into my PSU. Although on my unit I did find it odd that my header only had 3 pins instead of 4. My motherboard CPU_FAN has 4 pins. But the header coming off the block only has 3. I haven't seen online. But should it be a standard 4 pin header to fit onto the sensor pin?

Your plugs and connectors are all fine and installed properly m8 :).

Otherwise, when you boot your system, the H80 does a "self- test".

In so doing, it spins up the fans to max rpm's for 5 - 8 seconds to test that they are responding and capable of attaining maximum speeds.

As long as they return to a lower rpm after a few seconds, it's all perfectly normal.

Not that you I don't appreciate your guys' input as users of these products. But I can honestly say it's a little loud for comfort. It actually woke my room mate up in the other room with a few doors between us. And this morning checking it out as well resuming from sleep. When I get home I will record the noise and post it up for you guys to hear. I'm not doubting. It's definitely reasonable it to spin up on check. But it's pretty loud.

So this is my Corsair H80 start up from sleep. But it does this same thing at boot as well. As you can see from the lights on the water block its set to max. Yet it seems like the fans are over-revving when getting initial power. This is in no way a rant. But is a slight concern for the longevity of my fans. I plan on getting a Corsair Link Commander to plug everything into later. Maybe that will make a difference.So this is my Corsair H80 start up from sleep. But it does this same thing at boot as well. As you can see from the lights on the water block its set to max. Yet it seems like the fans are over-revving when getting initial power. This is in no way a rant. But is a slight concern for the longevity of my fans. I plan on getting a Corsair Link Commander to plug everything into later. Maybe that will make a difference.

link to the video. requires firefox, chrome or safari

• 1 month later...

here's your answer man. I know this is an old thread, but nobody gave you what you were wanting to know.

There's three modes on the fan controller. Quiet, Balanced, Performance

They are profiles and NOT fan speeds set in stone.

The profile is based on coolant temp, which dictates how fast the fan spins.

IE:

Quiet coolant temp 70-celcius fans = 60%

Balanced coolant temp 70-celcius fans = 70%

Performance coolant temp 70-celcius fans = 85%

I chose these numbers arbitrarily... the point is that when the machine powers on, it's doing a self test, and the fans spin at 100% speed. They then slowly spin down to whatever coolant temp. warrants based on the profile is loaded after the self test.

When you say you are using them on the performance mode, you arent getting full fan speed until the coolant temp gets to the end of the performance mode's fan profile's curve :)

Archived