Corsair Community

Incompatibility & Corruption - Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0

Synth80s

Corsair support and all. I've run into a strange and very frustrating issue that I can't figure out.

I use a dedicated USB drive to play music in my car. Every few weeks, I sync music to the USB drive from my PC (Windows 7 x64) using an application called MediaMonkey, then I plug it into the car and listen whenever I drive.

I originally purchased a 32GB Flash Voyager GTR that I bought in Summer, 2010. It was fast, reliable and served me well until it died a few weeks back (flashing LED and no connectivity on several PCs). Thankfully, Corsair RMA'd the failed drive and replaced it with a new 32GB Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0.

Ever since then, I've had nothing but problems getting the new USB drive to play in my car. Here are the crazy symptoms:

• The audio frequently "bips" and "pops" randomly during playback, but it's clear that the problem is in the digital data stream, not in the stereo system.

• Sometimes, when one song is playing, a few seconds of a different song randomly starts playing (though the displayed song title doesn't change), then the original song returns. It's like the FAT or memory pointers are getting confused and corrupted.

• Over time, the directory structure of the music on the USB key starts to get corrupted. File folders become duplicated with randomly replaced characters and upper/lower case character substitutions.

• Sometimes the USB key won't play at all in the car or it will freeze and hang.

• I've tried syncing and copying music to the USB key a few different ways using different applications to rule out a problem on the PC side.

• I've low-level reformatted the drive 2-3 times

I didn't experience any of these issues with the original drive, but either I have a bad replacement drive or the new model is not compatible with my car.

I've been struggling with this issue for many hours over the last few weeks, so any advice or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Synth80s

Unfortunately, yes. The first time I tried to use it, copy/write operations would hang. That's why I performed the first low-level reformat. After that, it worked OK for about a week on the computer (but not in the car), then PC to USB key music syncs started hanging again, so I reformatted again.

I'm still curious why the previous key worked so well before failing whereas this one doesn't. Do you suspect a bad key or incompatibility?

This is especially frustrating because I purposefully paid more for a Corsair product because of your reputation for quality (I also use Corsair RAM in my PCs), but I never thought USB keys would be so problematic.

Your RMA application doesn't have my product listed in the drop down menu (CMFVYGT3-32GB). Can you please add it?

Follow-up question: in terms of maximum compatibility, might I be better off trying a different model or do you think I might just have a bad key?

Thanks

RAM GUY:

I'm still awaiting a reponse on this. Again, Corsair's RMA application does not have a drop-down menu item for my USB key model: CMFVYGT3-32GB

What is the suggested course of action for an RMA?

Also, FWIW, I've been temporarily using a different older Corsair USB key (Survivor GT, I think) that I bought for work and it works fine with my PC and car.

Anyone? Anything? This issue has been open for almost 2 weeks now and I haven't even started the RMA process.

I also dropped a note to Customer Service yesterday using their online form. The application noted that I should expect a reply within 24 hours, but I haven't been contacted.

Why did I pay more for a Corsair product again?

• Corsair Employees
Sorry for the delay but we are not open on weekends and posts are answered based on their last post date. So when you kept bumping your post it would go to the back of the list! At any rate I am sorry about that but please select any part that is close and submit the case and let me know the case number and I will change it for you and make sure your case get approved right away. Or if you have a previous RMA number from us please just contact our customer service directly and they will take care of you right away.

Archived