Corsair Community

Corsair H100 - Temps High? (Phenom II X6)

RagingShadow07

I just bought a Corsair H100 and installed it today, replacing an old CM Hyper Z600 heatsink I was using. Installation was kind of a pain, but that's mostly because of the mid-tower 600T I was working with. Anyways, there seems to be what I think is an issue.

Idle, the processor, according to ASUS AI Suite and AIDA64 are anywhere from 34 to 39c, and load it's mid to high 40s. It may or may not be an H100 issue, but the processor is sitting stock, 1.400 volts. It shouldn't get that hot to the best of my knowledge. I let it idle for 3 hours with the fans on medium and an ambient temp of around ~22c. It didn't budge from 39c.

I set the fan orientation of the two Corsair fans to blow outwards on the top, so the radiator is where the top 200mm fan was, and the fans are on top, under the top grill. It's on the medium setting right now, but the temps don't really seem to change regardless. Is there an issue with the H100's performance, or a way I can tell if the pump is working properly?

That's what I'd heard. It definitely seems to be helping with the temperatures in comparison to the old heatsink I had.

One question, though. Should I be paying attention more to the "Core" temp, meaning the temperature reported six times in some programs, or the "CPU" temp, reported in AI Suite and etc.? From what I understand from the things I've read, Core is more important to monitor because it's the temperature sensor in the die, and CPU is a sensor in the motherboard. They're about 10c off from each other, and don't go up proportionally (CPU doesn't go up 1c per 1c the Core goes up). I know this isn't really an H100 question, but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, as far as fans go for the H100, what's accepted as a decent replacement for stock? Some threads were saying Cougar PWM fans were good, so I was looking into those if they're quieter. On boot my PC sounds like a jet engine.

Temperatures of 34 to high 40 at load are brilliant as far as I am concerned. On my stock fan I was lucky if it idled below 50 - 75 load. I don't believe you would get much better even from a more expensive water cooler.

It will also depend on your ambient temperature as it cannot run cooler than your room or case temperature.

What were you using to measure your temperatures when you were on your stock fan? Like I said, that's what I'm concerned about, if I should be using programs like Speedfan or Core Temp to monitor the Core temperatures, or AI Suite/AIDA64 to monitor the CPU sensor.

Also, has anyone did any comparisons on a 600T when the fans were mounted on the top and exhausting, and mounted on the top intaking? Mine are set to intake for now, but the GPU seems to be sweating a little more, because all the hot air from the front intake, side intake, and top is going towards it.

Just to give you a reference.

I'm running a 1090T at 4.1ghz on 1.5v and I get a reading of 50c max in coretemp while running intel burn test. I'm using a coolermaster HAF 932 case and I am running 4 fans in push pull at 1400rpm each.

The temps read by the core have dropped by a ton in the last few days. Sitting overclocked at 3.7GHz at 1.375v, it's from 21 to 25c idle and around 38c from an hour of AIDA64. AI Suite is reading 34/43, which is fine by me. I also figured out how to bring down the clock speeds and voltages when it's idle, so I'm not worried about it at all anymore.

At this point I'm debating on Bulldozer, seeing how well the H100 cools every CPU out there, but I wonder if it'll actually be an upgrade over what I have.

I appreciate the help and advice!

That's what I'd heard. It definitely seems to be helping with the temperatures in comparison to the old heatsink I had.

One question, though. Should I be paying attention more to the "Core" temp, meaning the temperature reported six times in some programs, or the "CPU" temp, reported in AI Suite and etc.? From what I understand from the things I've read, Core is more important to monitor because it's the temperature sensor in the die, and CPU is a sensor in the motherboard. They're about 10c off from each other, and don't go up proportionally (CPU doesn't go up 1c per 1c the Core goes up). I know this isn't really an H100 question, but any advice would be appreciated...

I'm not sure about AMD, but in Intel CPUs, the single CPU temperature, that is measured on the CPU itself, is what triggers the CPU thermal power limiting or shutdown due to overheating. The core temps are not used for any purpose.

If your CPU is set to a constant voltage, and you don't have any CPU power saving options enabled (Cool and Quiet for example), then it would not be unusual for your CPU to stay at one temperature for longer periods of time.

Archived