Corsair Community

Corsair HX1000 possible problem, Computer lock-up

BigBlueShock

Hello all, I'm having a major issue and I'm trying to narrow it down, and I was wondering if my power supply could be the culprit. When I play Battlefield 3, and sometimes StarCraft 2, my computer totally locks up. However, I can stress test my computer in every way possible and have no problems occur.

Computer specs:

-EVGA E758 X58 3-way SLI

-Intel core i7 960 @ 4.0 GHz

-2x EVGA GTX 470 in SLI @ 702 MHz

-******** F3 6GB Triple channel 1600MHz @ 1600

Have fine-tuned voltages as best I could from various forums as well as EVGA support. Here's what I've tried:

-FurMarked/OCScanner both cards together with power draw(max power) on for 30 minutes, no problem

-Each video card tested individually in stress/benchmark, no problems

-I have ran LinX Linpack for 50 runs with max memory usage, no problems

-I have primed for 6 hours "Blend" and "In-Place", no problem

-Lastly, I have ran a power supply test in OCCT for 1 hour with no problem

I'm bummed out, and almost exhausting all possibilities. Then I read the HX1000 essentially has two 500w PSU's in one, with a max of 42A per rail with no or limited load balancing. I moved one GTX 470 to the 12v1 rail, and still have the issue.

Could the power draw from the power supply, while in game, be causing too much stress on this power supply? I'm not even close to coming near 1000W load, probably more around 800 max.

I'm afraid however when both cards are being stressed under load, as well as CPU, One of the rails can't handle it.

Other Fermi-based card issues with drivers past 270.62WHQL. The NVidia HD audio driver that is installed when you do an Express setup of the Video driver Package can have an IRQ conflict with onboard sound or other onboard devices, leading to the black screen boot issue and/or game crashes and system lockups/blue screens. 3D Bluray support broken in PowerDVD. Inability to play certain games in SLI without V-synch turned on (including BF3) without crashing the system. Lockups when SLI is applied. Crashes in game if Skype is running in the background. Windows Power Kernel crashes, presumably because the fan speed controls on auto aren't ramping up fast enough during heavy usage while gaming with certain model cards. The need to disable Windows Aero before running particular games to prevent crashing. Silverlight 3D support. Ect.

Don't you just gotta love Beta testing WHQL drivers? Isn't WHQL certification a total joke?

Other Fermi-based card issues with drivers past 270.62WHQL. The NVidia HD audio driver that is installed when you do an Express setup of the Video driver Package can have an IRQ conflict with onboard sound or other onboard devices, leading to the black screen boot issue and/or game crashes and system lockups/blue screens. 3D Bluray support broken in PowerDVD. Inability to play certain games in SLI without V-synch turned on (including BF3) without crashing the system. Lockups when SLI is applied. Crashes in game if Skype is running in the background. Windows Power Kernel crashes, presumably because the fan speed controls on auto aren't ramping up fast enough during heavy usage while gaming. The need to disable Windows Aero before running particular games to prevent crashing. Using the browser Firefox can crash the system if the option to enable hardware acceleration when available is turned on.

I am having the same issue 1 x GTx480 is fine, 2 x GTX480 with one card as dedicated physix fine, enable Sli crash black screen and then reboot had PSU for 2 years and ran Sli in all games even played BF3 for a week until tis happened tried new sli bridge but know joy fully stress tested cards, cpu and ram & tested slots on motherboard and all fine its just when i try to sli both cards as if one of the rails is failing

Archived