Corsair Community

Video card not recognized in new build; HX850 problem?

distobj

Hi everyone,

I've been building a predominantly new machine, reusing only an old hard drive and a 1 year old Diamond Radeon HD 6870 from my previous build.

I've so far been unable to get the Radeon working, and have been stuck using the IGP on the motherboard. I have tried an old Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT PCIe video card that works fine (so it's not a motherboard problem, AFAICT), though it doesn't require the additional power of the Radeon.

If I plug the Radeon into my old machine (just a motherboard+PSU+case at this point), it still seems to work, showing the BIOS bootup screen.

AFAICT, that must mean a PSU problem, no? I've tried powering the card from the two builtin 6+2 PCIe cables, and have also tried the 4 supplementary 8 pin PCIe blue ports (with the provided adapter cables) on the PSU, without any success.

Thanks.

Since your CPU has an onboard GPU, don't you need to select which GPU to use, in the BIOS?

The integrated GPU may be the default, but how do you select the one in the PCI-E slot? Did you swap cables to the other GPU, or change inputs on the monitor if using two cables?

Thanks for your response, and good point, since I forgot to mention that I did account for that; in my bios, I set my preferred GPU to "PCI-E" (versus the "PCI" and "onboard" options). This worked for the 7600 GT card I mentioned.

No, I didn't. I'm certainly used to having that option in my BIOS in the past, but was surprised not to find one in the BIOS on the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (UEFI). I went through all the options and not one of them sounded like the old "quick boot".

I was able to get a different video card working though, and I didn't have to change any BIOS options.

Well, if you are certain that you have the PCI-E cables plugged into the correct modular jacks on the PS, it seems to be a PS issue. Any chance you have a voltmeter to measure the voltage from the PCI-E connector on the PS, or on the PCI-E cables?

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z68%20Extreme4.pdf

After perusing your motherboard manual, I was suprised to see there is no quick boot option, as you found. However there is a note (#1) on page 81 that may apply, "if you plan to install the PCI Express graphics card for video output, set the UEFI option "IGD Multi-Monitor" to [Disabled] to disable the onboard VGA in advance". It looks like that motherboard may be capable of running both onboard video and certain graphics cards at the same time for multi-monitor support. This function may not be compatible with your video card though, hence the note in the manual.

Wow, thanks for looking that up. I noticed that the note says it's for XP/Vista, whereas I'm running Win7/64, but I tried it anyway and it doesn't change anything. In fact, the IGP still works, which I presume is because it hasn't found another GPU.

I do have a voltmeter around here someplace and have spent a good hour digging around in the crevices of my basement, but I haven't turned it up yet. Will try again this weekend.

I did find a review of that board that uses that Ati card in their testing here:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/asrock-z68-extreme-4-intel-z68-motherboard-review/

In it they mention that they updated the BIOS to the latest as of 5/12/2011, which would be version 1.3 according to Asrock's BIOS update download page for that board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme4&o=All

You might need to update your BIOS in order for the board to recognize that card.

FYI, I found my voltmeter and verified that the power supply (and cables) are working as they should, so it looks like my problem is either with the card or with the motherboard and its interaction with my card (since it worked with a separate card).

Another possibility is a bad connection (or power supply connector) and/or bad cable for the Pci-e connectors on that 6870. When you originally bought that card, Saphire usually includes molex to 6-pin adapters to power the card that way. Might be worth a shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived