Corsair Community

400R USB 3.0 header when connected shorts power to my system

dhk

Through trial and error, I am able to duplicate the condition when my new system does not get power at all when I hit the power button.

I put together a new system with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 MB

Intel i7 2600K CPU

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (16GB memory)

EVGA GeForce GTX460 Video Card

WD VelociRaptor SATA 600GB 10,000RPM

Pioneer BDR-2206 Blue-Ray DVD/CD Writer

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Case

Corsair TX550M

It appears when I connect the 400R USB 3.0 cable to the Gigabyte MB, it shorts my board and nothing gets power when I hit the power button. I would have to disconnect it, wait a minute or two, turn on the PSU, then hit the power button. At that point, the system gets power and POSTS.

So, I have two questions.

1. Is there a compatibility issue with 400R USB 3.0 and Gigabyte MB?

2. Or could that be a symptom of something else mis-configured, e.g. improperly seated CPU or damaged or bent pins on the chip set?

The only reason I bring the last point up is that I've been building systems for over 20 years. And I've never had the CPU make a little pin brushing noise as I closed the very tight socket load plate that holds the CPU in the CPU socket. It just seemed odd and I was afraid I might have damaged something. I reopened and looked at it, nothing seems bent, but the second time I locked the CPU, it made the same dreadful noise.

Anyway, I would like to get the USB 3.0 on the front panel of the case working as I find that more useful than going behind the computer to attach devices.

Any ideas?

I had that problem after I first plugged something into the front USB.... the front USB ports are very tight (on my 500R case anyway), and I found that the little metal connectors inside the USB port were bended.

I had to unplug the front USB so my computer could start.

I filled a RMA to get a new front USB 3 plug/wire... no come back as of now :(

Archived