Corsair Community

Dominator Heatsink fins

Plynindbnd

I have a set of DDR3 Dominator GT's and they have red heat sink fins on the top that uses 3 cap head allen screws to hold them on. Can these be taken off or will the modules really overheat? I figure there are plenty sticks of DDR3 on the market that do not even have heatsinks on them at all. I kinda like that it removes 90% of the red and leaves mostly black. I need them off to make clearance for a fan mounted on a rad. Any reason I can't do this?

OK I have had the heatsink fins off my 3 Dominator Gt'sfor about a week now and with the extra air being pushed over the modules from the fan that caused the fins to be removed is keeping the modules cool to the touch during idle and no real change of temp by touch during load. I really like the all black look with red lettering/sticker, just wish I had something small to fill the threaded holes, tried the screws that held the fins on but they are too long now and just stick out. I even thought about trimming up my fins to fit but I hate the thought of cutting those without another set. Below should be a picture of what they loook lke with heatsink fins off.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1007/dscn0697iv.jpg

Archived