Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 only stable with 2 of the 4 sticks

tonm156

I purchased this memory (CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9) set last week for a new computer build. System was extremely unstable with lots of BSODs. I ran memtest but did not see any errors. I finally removed two sticks to see if the MB might be having issues with 4 sticks and everything worked fine.

I swapped out the 2 sticks that were working for the two I removed and the system started crashing again. Which leads me to believe that there is at least one bad stick in the group.

Anything I can do to further to rule out this issue isn't caused by other hardware.

Thanks

Yuppers , run memtest on each stick individually in the first slot.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, load set up defaults, enable XMP, and disable USB legacy support in the BIOS before starting. USB legacy support if you MB has that option in the BIOS will cause fals positives in memtest. Also be sure to use the latest version of memtest found on the left side of the forum here. Let it run about 4 passes each or until you get an error

Loading set up defaults before hand is extremely important step, so make sure you dont miss that one.

Let us know how you make out

That memtest takes forever. I finally got around to testing all the sticks (4-7 passes) and one of them lit up the errors in memtest like a xmas tree. The last stick is running now.

Looks like I need a replacement.

Q: I can RMA though the vendor but I will have to RMA all 4 sticks, would it be better to RMA via Corsair for just the one bad stick (if possible) being I know the others sticks are good (also assuming the last one that is running reports no errors)

Thanks for the help.

Archived