Corsair Community

Installed new H80, appears dead

dhk

I built a new i7 2600K system in a 400R with H80 cooler today. The whole H80 pump/fan appears dead. No light on the button nor do the fans turn on.

I tried using the SYS_FAN1 header and even tried the molex connector. No dice. I go into BIOS and watch the CPU temperature just rise.

This may or may not be related, but the new system only intermittently boots up, but when it does I've only been in BIOS to check things for a short period before I shut it down.

One of my guesses is that I may not have a big enough power supply. I'll know tomorrow when I try the TX650M. Currently, I have the TX550M and I thought I was enough power for my system configuration. If that fixes the intermittent boot up problem and the H80 still doesn't work, I'm going to assume the H80 is dead.

My second guess is I have faulty parts, including the MB and worst CPU. In which case H80 not being affected by any of these faulty parts, I'm going to assume the H80 is dead.

Any ideas?

Here's a recap of my system configuration:

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 MB

Intel i7 2600K CPU

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (16GB memory))

EVGA GeForce GTX460 Video Card

WD VelociRaptor SATA 600GB 10,000RPM

Pioneer BDR-2206 Blue-Ray DVD/CD Writer

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Case

Corsair TX550M

I tried using the SYS_FAN1 header and even tried the molex connector. No dice. I go into BIOS and watch the CPU temperature just rise.

Those connections both need to be connected. The fan header wire is just to register pump RPM's in the bios and the molex is power.

You PSU will not have anything to do with the issue, they draw very little power and is not coming directly from the MB.

This may or may not be related, but the new system only intermittently boots up, but when it does I've only been in BIOS to check things for a short period before I shut it down.

Double check to see if the fasteners are tight enough to hold the pump head to the CPU securely. If it's loose it may cause the CPU to heat up and shut itself down.

Can you feel or hear the pump running at all?

That did the trick. The fans and the pump are working now. I don't recall if that was in the manual, but that is an important piece of information that should be pointed out. Thanks.

I also discovered through trial and error why my MB, fans, etc isn't getting power. It appears when I connect the 400R's USB 3.0 header to the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 MB, it seems to short out the board and all the accessories. When disconnect it and give it a minute, then the machine powers up when I hit the power button. Strange.

I guess I'll move this conversation to the case forum. There may be a compatibility issue or the case or the MB I have is defective.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived