Corsair Community

Optimum settings for BF3 USB HS1 v1.1

curtagain

The HS1 is primarily a gaming headset. BF3 for PC is released and these headphones being optimally adjusted is my goal.

The 1.1 drivers now have a Bypass function with no documentation that I've found. Also when I switch from Dolby Headphones back to Bypass the 5.1 setting changes (in my Win 7 speaker control panel options) back to headphones and stays there till I manually change it back. Because of the necessity of using both Win 7 control panel audio options and v 1.1 software I'm not sure yet which settings matter. If stereo is going to give me better clarity and situational awareness then that's alright by me. Obviously for this particular game I'm interested in informed opinions concerning clarity and accurate situational audio awareness. I'm not sure what the developers of BF3 have included audio-wise but I'm interested in how that coincides with what the developers of this headset and the drivers/ software intend. Thanks.

Yes thanks, please do and just playing with them I did not change any settings except the volume and did not have any issues at all, just try the default settings and tweak from there.

Your response is more like a customer service (lip service) than a technical support response! When you say default settings do you mean Bypass and no Dolby stereo or what?

• Corsair Employees
Yes thanks, please do and just playing with them I did not change any settings except the volume and did not have any issues at all, just try the default settings and tweak from there.

I did not change any settings for AUDIO just used the default settings loaded the game and away I went. I stated that is not an official answer only what I had a chance to play with for a short time. If you want to experiment with all of the bells and whistles (Settings within the Game) then by all means go for it but I doubt we will be able to help you with that. You would do better asking the game Manufacturer/Developer.

BF3 is a PC game and the HS1 is a gaming headset so my interest lies in getting the most situational clarity during multiplayer mode of BF3 for now. It is important to me not to have enhancements or a wrong setting in Win 7 , Corsair software or in game settings mask the true sound of BF3. In my little research I've found most competitive gamers recommend stereo (2 drivers ) headphones as opposed to more than 2 drivers that attempt to achieve a 5.1 effect. This is one reason I like the HS1's. For BF3 these are my settings within Corsair version 1.1: I set the equalizer to FPS Gaming and am experimenting with a setting I call BF3 which is each adjustment light up exactly 2 from the default F.P.S. Gaming settings. I may stay with the default FPS setting for now. Also in Corsair v1.1 I have Dolby Headphone enabled and select the Hall setting because it's the largest area. Choosing the Dolby Headphone setting in Corsair v1.1 automatically enables 7.1 speaker in Win 7 control panel. Also from Win 7 speaker properties choose the Corsair HS1 USB headset - properties- advanced- 24 bit 96000 Hz Studio Quality. This is not the default setting with the Corsair software but is the most preferable and the chip in this headset can handle it. In BF3 Audio settings I turn off Stereo Enhancement because I read that is for inferior sound solutions which this headset is not. The chip in this headset is the same as the Asus Zonar soundcards! Presently (in BF3 audio settings) I am experimenting between Headphones and Home Theater but have to do more research/ experimenting with the HiFi mode. I don't recommend the War Tapes setting because it is a artificial enhancement which I don't want in multiplayer. This is what I have so far and hope this helps out any like minded BF3 players here!

I just read (unofficial) that BF3 audio is 16bit 48000 Hz and that should be what you set your Win 7 control panel audio -Corsair HS1 USB headset - properties- advanced- to ,not 24 bit 96000Hz. If you set this setting higher than the source code The OS must process it up and this effects situational audio. I am still researching this though!

How upsampling is handled on one system can be vastly different on another, but in general there is a lot more murky areas when you are doing upsampling and/or downsampling that there would be otherwise.

To give a simple and direct answer would be misleading. See, ANYTHING that is audio on your system has some measurable effect on the sound output.

While a Human may not be able to hear most of it, there are inaudible clicks and pops and pauses all over the place with modern sound hardware.

From all the threads popping up here and elsewhere, it sounds like BF3 has a botched audio engine. Mayhaps a patch will fix it. (Or I could be very wrong, I have not played the game yet.)

In some games they offer an option of audio rendering engines. Does BF3? (Things like Miles 2D/3D and RADFX 3D or whatever it is called.) If it does then that may fix everything with one click, but I doubt that is the case. Worth a try checking at the least.

I don't think BF3 has a botched sound engine, they just haven't officially released the specs of it. I know the single player ( completely different from multi) uses Dolby but there are no settings for that in the audio settings. This is where a more in depth explanation of what "War Tapes", " HiFi", "Home Theater" and "Headphones" settings (within BF3) are offering sound wise to the consumer. Positional accuracy is my goal.

Between Headphone,Wartapes, HiFi, and Home Theater within BF3 sound settings I've settled for Home Theater and I've unselected enhanced stereo. Within Corsair V1.1. I've chosen in EQ- Fps gaming, and the 7.1 speaker shifter(without shifting) because I think I get more clarity of sounds within BF3 and music. Within audio options in Win 7 -recording device- Corsair microphone - properties- levels and make sure Mic volume is all the way up. In playback devices -Corsair USB Headset- properties- advanced-16 bit- 48000 Hz DVD quality.

Archived